Clunking / knocking noise from front end

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
Crinks85

Post by Crinks85 »

Hello all!

Sadly my first post isn't a positive one šŸ˜”

My wife received her Born V3 77kw couple of days ago and it has a horrible clunking noise from the front end.

First assumption is it being suspension related as it only happens over small harsh pothole to bumps.

It sounds like some thing metal, maybe hollow.
I cant upload a video here so I will try to attach a link at some point to the noise.

I've seen something about transportation blocks, I had a look as best I could and couldn't see anything.

Any suggestions or opinions are welcome.

It's her car through work so will be contacting the right people and it will be taken back to be looked.
But being the weekend and away from home with work the issue isn't ideal!

Thanks

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

That's a pain. It does sound like transport blocks having been left in although my only experience of it is via posts here over the last 12 months. I'm sure there will be those replying who have first hand experience.
I do hope you get sorted quick.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Crinks85

Post by Crinks85 »

Thanks for the reply,

I'm tempted to remove the wheels to get a better look, but as its brand new I'm reluctant to start faffing!

definitely feels like a upgrade over our id3, just hope our problem is an easy fix.

Lovely looking cars, reckon the best looking electric hatch out there.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Crinks85 wrote: ā†‘Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:07 am Thanks for the reply,

I'm tempted to remove the wheels to get a better look, but as its brand new I'm reluctant to start faffing!

definitely feels like a upgrade over our id3, just hope our problem is an easy fix.

Lovely looking cars, reckon the best looking electric hatch out there.
I believe they are at the very top of the suspension so you maybe need a wheel off or at least on full lock to get a good look. How about just pointing the phone inside the arch with the flash on and see if it captures a good shot.
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Crinks85

Post by Crinks85 »

I believe they are at the very top of the suspension so you maybe need a wheel off or at least on full lock to get a good look. How about just pointing the phone inside the arch with the flash on and see if it captures a good shot.
[/quote]

They have a black cover over the piston so
Makes it hard to view.
It does slide up a bit and turning at full lock could help. I will give it a go later.
Crinks85

Post by Crinks85 »

Update

AA have been out to give it a check over to make sure it's safe to continue driving.

Check for transportation blocks and that's not it.

Checked everything that's accessible road side and nothing obvious.

Will be going back to a garage Monday hopefully.

Will update thread once I've learnt more šŸ‘
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Crinks85 wrote: ā†‘Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:32 pm Update

AA have been out to give it a check over to make sure it's safe to continue driving.

Think it was wise to have it checked. Hope it's resolved quickly for you. Its getting close for me to order a replacement for mine as I change every 2 years or so. Can't see anything at this size and range that I like more. It's a great car.
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Crinks85 wrote: ā†‘Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:32 pm Update

How did it resolve?
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Bloodborn

Post by Bloodborn »

Iā€™ve got a similar problem, waiting for Perrys to get back in touch. Itā€™s a knocking sound coming from under the car whenever I go over uneven road surfaces (which in UK is regularly).

Thought it was the child seat but emptied the car and checked everything else I could access felt secure. I couldnā€™t specify it comes from front end, possibly middle to back for me but definitely underneath. Like something metallic and heavy ā€œwobblesā€ over bumps.

I will definitely update once itā€™s been checked over by the service team.
RichT

Post by RichT »

I also have a similar problem.
The noise is in addition to to the usual thumps from the somewhat firm suspension.
It's a bit higher pitched - more like something big and metal flexing, or perhaps a heavy item jumping in its mounting bracket.
It only happens at lower speeds on very poor surfaces, no so much on speed bumps even.
The dealer did a short test drive but says there is nothing unusual to be heard. I find this surprising as I have owned many cars and none have exhibited this additional noise.
TBH driving in and out of London (where the roads are a poor condition) is quite unpleasant and I now avoid taking the Born. That can't be right.
I'm curious to know whether anyone else has had such an issue resolved.
58 kWh V2 in vapor grey with pan roof and heat pump