Tyre wear Information

All CUPRA Born related discussions
viking2010

Post by viking2010 »

Hi

I only got my Born in July this year so current tyre wear isn't an issue, but I was wondering if those of you who have had their cars longer and done lots of miles, if you can provide any information on tyre wear? I've got the 19" tyres which looking online, aren't cheap, so I'm just hoping my light right foot will help keep the tyre wear low! I'm just hoping I'll get a reasonable amount of miles out of the tyres before they need replacing!

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

They seem prone to punctures and are very thin as tyres go - you may not have the opportunity to wear them out before replacing them.

There's pretty much no one that has had their Born in the UK before June, so not much opportunity to rack up the miles.

Cheapest fitted Conti6 19" tyre I found when I had to replace mine at 2k miles (screw puncture) was £170.

The tyres will almost certainly wear quicker at the back, so could be worth rotating fronts to backs at about every 5k miles.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Boris7

Post by Boris7 »

Not got my car as yet, but my feeling is profile v weight.

My Caterham 7 is light and fast and it’s 45 series tyres work just fine.

My Motorhome is heavy and relatively slow and it’s 65 series tyres last forever, neither suffer from punctures.

Therefore I’m thinking the extra weight on the EV, doesn’t work with low profile tyres designed for low weight sports cars.

It would be interesting to hear feedback from those with the firestorm wheels fitted with Michelin energy tyres which it’s claimed were developed for electric cars.
Nwborn

Post by Nwborn »

I got mine July, currently just over 7500 miles so possibly one of the higher mileage borns.

On 18 inch wheels with Bridgestone tyres, rears are down to wear bars and fronts are around 1mm off the wear bars.

Awaiting a booking slot with the dealership to investigate the below average wear, dealer believes they should be getting 12k miles plus per set.
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Nwborn wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:10 pm I got mine July, currently just over 7500 miles so possibly one of the higher mileage borns.

On 18 inch wheels with Bridgestone tyres, rears are down to wear bars and fronts are around 1mm off the wear bars.

Awaiting a booking slot with the dealership to investigate the below average wear, dealer believes they should be getting 12k miles plus per set.
Quite a few issues with the iD.3's on Bridestones not lasting very long.

A lot of people saying they come with less tread depth from new, and people getting very varied mileage from them.

I traded my iD.3 in after 10 months and 10.5k miles, and the rears weren't far off needing replacing.

I'm hoping the 19" Goodyears I have now on the Born last a lot longer.
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-July 22 - VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys
Nwborn

Post by Nwborn »

Blackeunos wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:32 pm
Nwborn wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:10 pm I got mine July, currently just over 7500 miles so possibly one of the higher mileage borns.

Quite a few issues with the iD.3's on Bridestones not lasting very long.

A lot of people saying they come with less tread depth from new, and people getting very varied mileage from them.

I traded my iD.3 in after 10 months and 10.5k miles, and the rears weren't far off needing replacing.

I'm hoping the 19" Goodyears I have now on the Born last a lot longer.
I contacted Bridgestone direct, they’ve said the come with 6mm tread new rather than the usual 7/8mm but it’s a special rubber blend specifically designed for EVs so should get the same lifespan as a normal tyre - 10/15k so I’m wondering if there’s just a bad batch of tyres knocking about getting lower mileage per set.
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Nwborn wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:50 pm I contacted Bridgestone direct, they’ve said the come with 6mm tread new rather than the usual 7/8mm but it’s a special rubber blend specifically designed for EVs so should get the same lifespan as a normal tyre - 10/15k so I’m wondering if there’s just a bad batch of tyres knocking about getting lower mileage per set.
I've experienced their 'special rubber blend', and its terrible!

Rubbish in the wet and zero grip in the slightest of wintry conditions!

I was contemplating paying for a new set of tyres even before they started to wear down, and it was one of the reasons I went for the optional 19" wheels when I got my Born.
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-July 22 - VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys