Puncture - Anyone know if Repairable?

All CUPRA Born related discussions
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

SilverCupra wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:16 pm
SilverCupra wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:23 pm Repairable?

Well, the answer was no, I needed a new tyre..

I called round a few tyre places and could have got one for £159 fitted, but as the car was at the dealers and they said £172 fitted, I got them to do it.

Interested on the comment above, about the tyres being quite thin, maybe punctures are going to be a thing with the Born, really hope not :-(
Was that another Cont 6 Conti-seal for £159 at other places? I looked at all the usual big websites like black circles and a few local tyre places. Plenty of other choices, but not the Conti at all but 1 place, and they wanted £192.

A guy with the username "Tooks" on the ID3 forum went through 3 punctured 19" tyres on his ID3 over 18 months.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565

SilverCupra

Post by SilverCupra »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:42 pm
Was that another Cont 6 Conti-seal for £159 at other places? I looked at all the usual big websites like black circles and a few local tyre places. Plenty of other choices, but not the Conti at all but 1 place, and they wanted £192.
Yes, it was for the correct Conti-Seal 205/50 R19 93T for the V2..

That quote came from a local independent tyre place who I have used many times, but although they give you an appointment time, you still need time on your hands as very busy !!
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Geysor Silver
antoniomapinho

Post by antoniomapinho »

I've had a similar puncture a few months ago and got it repaired. Granted, it was a bit more to the centre of the tyre but it was repairable. I was told by the dealer (and the tyre shop) that the conti seal is not supposed to allow you to remove the source of the puncture and keep going but rather to seal it enough to buy enough time and miles to get the tyre repaired.
KEV1L

Post by KEV1L »

I’ve just had a screw in the middle of the tread that caused a complete deflation. Took the screw out and the magic goo inside has fully resealed the tyre, has held pressure fully for a week now.
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-M | Aurora Blue
antoniomapinho

Post by antoniomapinho »

KEV1L wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:10 pm I’ve just had a screw in the middle of the tread that caused a complete deflation. Took the screw out and the magic goo inside has fully resealed the tyre, has held pressure fully for a week now.
I would still advise you to have the tyre checked at a tyre shop.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Another puncture. 2 punctures in 10k miles, these tyres seem pretty crap.

SabreDentist

Post by SabreDentist »

Our car also had a puncture (close to sidewall) and we had to wait nearly a week for the tyre centre to source a replacement Continental. Therefore, I've been busy compiling a list of other tyres that could be used on the Born as it always pays to select something that a) rates well in terms of durability and handling; and b) can readily be sourced when required. Our car has 215/50/19 tyres and possible contenders include:

• Continental EcoContact 6 Contiseals
• Michelin Pilot sport EV
• Bridgestone Turanza Eco (tyre is OE fitment for ID3)
• Pirelli Cinturato All Season F2
• Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance

For whatever reason, all seem to be in relative short supply!

There is also the possibility of opting for a more conventional tyre size, namelty 225/45/19s, which opens up many more possibilities although most are not EV tyres and there may be a range penalty.

If anyone has other suggestions, feel free to add them.

Our cars don't come with a spare wheel which is a pain. One option, I am considering, is to order a spare tyre to keep in reserve and possibly carry on longer trips. This means that if you do have a puncture you could at least get the spare tyre fitted onto your rim in lieu of waiting for a replacement to be shipped into the tyre centre. I am not a huge fan of spacesaver tyres.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I'd like to move away from EV specific tyres if possible - they are so thin, no wonder they are always getting punctured!

I have bought some Michelin Primacy e in 215/50 R19 to replace both back tyres, and have one as a spare (2 if the punctured one is repairable). Might also try to source a suitable steel wheel to mount the spare on. Costco will have the Primacys in on Weds, £145 a corner, fitted.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I have 2 new Michelin Primacys on the back now, and retained the 1 good tyre as a spare (might try and source a steel wheel as a true "soare". With nearly 12k miles done, there was about 2.7mm left on the Conti self seal rears. Costco categorically stated that Conti self seals xan't be repaired. The offending item was a sheet roofing style self tapping screw. The tread was very short, it was barely bigger than a drawing pin. I'd hazard a guess to say a normal tyre probably wouldn't have been ounctured, but EV tyres, especially the Contis, seem incredibly thin.