V1 vs V2 Help me decide

All CUPRA Born related discussions
coaster88

Post by coaster88 »

This will be a low mileage second car/dog transporter alongside a Tesla Model 3.

I started off wanting a v2 58kwh with E-boost because...... well it's got a Knight rider turbo boost button everybody needs one of those :-) (Yes I'm that old).

I settled on a v2 58kwh with no options.

After a test drive in a v3 and seeing the v2 and v1 in the flesh I started to wonder if I actuall needed/wanted the extras on the v2.

These are purely subjective views based on my personal requirements/taste and not intended to insult anyone else's choices. I don't think I've seen a Born that I didn't think Wow, that looks great. Considering it is an ID3 they have managed some serious transformation with the styling. The Cupra design team should get an award and the ID3 team should be fired!

So my thought's on the extras v2 to v1:

1. Wheels. The 18" cyclone look horrible on the Cupra website but I think I actually prefer the look (in the flesh) to the 19" Typhoons. I can hear the groans from everyone but I just prefer a simpler wheel look. Theoretically quieter too. Wife likes them because they look similar to the Tesla Aero - yes, she has a vote!
2. Head-up display. This is actually a lot better than I expected. I wear Bifocals so thought I would struggle with it. A lot clearer than I expected but still got a bit of a headache after the test drive. Wife asked is there an option to switch it off, so thumbs down from her.
3. Heated Seats. Perhaps the one extra that would be good to have but not a deal breaker and never had it on any of our other second cars. Love it on the Tesla.
4. Tinted Rear Windows. Never really liked this, all tinted or all clear for me (law permitting) just don't like the half and half look. I don't sit in the back and don't have kids so not for me.
5. Heated Washer Nozzles. Now these are what I have always wanted! :-) Not sure I can live without them. ;-)

Although it probably only saves about £900 over 3 years (Business Lease) The V2 would actually give me things I don't like and/or need just to get the one thing I do. I haven't asked the dealer but I guess it's not possible to get a v1 with heated seats only?

Are there any other things I should consider? Feel free to tell me why I absolutely have to have a v3 77kwh e-boost, or x,y,z, options - a man can never have too many toys after all!

Colour wise I originally thought Aurora Blue but after seeing both in the flesh I love the Quasar Grey.

Thanks for any comments/experiences you have to share.
"Bog Standard" in a nice bland colour will do! :D

alanjs

Post by alanjs »

If you haven't already seen it there's a bunch of comments in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=296 My own thought process is in there, but you are right - the opinions of SWMBO (if you're old enough you'll remember Rumpole) must be taken into account.

I find it highly annoying that most manufacturers now insist that you pick a pre-packaged set of options (ie. Life, V1, V3 etc.) instead of letting you add the options that you really want. But that's the way it is.
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

Sounds a bog standard V1 in the colour you want will do you though if it’s a stock one it will likely have a tech pack in it like mine did.

Sounds like the only reason you’d want a V2 is the HUD. It’s great and all that but it’s not like you need to look much further down to see the screen anyway.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

For me, the standout items in teh V2 are the wheels and the HUD, but as you prefer the 18" wheels (although you'll probably get horrible Bridgestone tyres) and the HUD gave you a headache, that's probably out of contention. I haven't looked yet, but as the HUD will essentially be a mini projector, i'm betting a blob of blu-tack on the projector lens would "switch it off".

I came from an ID3 204ps Life on 18" East Derry Alloys and Bridgestone Potenza tyres. I test drove a V1 on 18" wheels and Bridgestones and the ride was identical - not awful, but you know it would be transformed on better rubber (as has been proven many times over when i've swapped out the Bridgestones on previous new VWs i've owned). The V2 on 19" wheels and conti 6 tyres rides noticeably nicer. I think you're the only person on this forum that prefers the look of the 18"ers.

If you want a Born in a hurry, there's a few about nationally on Autotrader, if you're willing to travel. As previously said, most of these stock cars come with an L-Tech pack (parking assist - never used mine, as I can parallel park, illuminated door handles and keyless entry,
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
coaster88

Post by coaster88 »

Thanks everyone for the input.

Funny you should mention the east derry 18" on the ID3 as I think I'd chosen those when I looked at the ID3 a while ago.

I can't say I've ever worried too much about tires on any car except when I had an E34 BMW 535i back in the 90's in Spain. If I remember correctly they were some kind of special Michelin tires that never really took off. Something makes me think they were only used on the 535i and Ferrari Testarossa (but that might be rubbish)! Either way they cost an absolute arm and a leg and got harder to source. One day the tire company I used said "why don't you just change the wheels and save some money? At that point I just smiled, went to the bar and drank a lot as I realised I'd blown a small fortune on tires because I was stupid! :oops: :lol:

I'll check with the dealer tomorrow and let you know what I order in the end.
coaster88

Post by coaster88 »

I think I can probably live with one like this!! ;)

Cupra_Born_V1_Quasar_Grey.jpg

Not as fancy as the 19" and 20" but I think the 18" Cyclones look pretty cool on a Quasar grey Born! :D

And even better with some caps on!! :oops:
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I love Quasar Grey on an ID3 - makes it look sleek and less bland. IMO though, I think it has the opposite effect on the Born. White, Silver and blue are the picks for me, and to a lesser extent, the flat grey,
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
coaster88

Post by coaster88 »

Good point.

I have updated my sig accordingly! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
coaster88

Post by coaster88 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:04 am I love Quasar Grey on an ID3 - makes it look sleek and less bland. IMO though, I think it has the opposite effect on the Born. White, Silver and blue are the picks for me, and to a lesser extent, the flat grey,
I thought a bit more about what you said and you're right.

The Quasar Grey doesn't show the contrast with the black sections of the body as well as the other colours you mention. In doing so some of the design blends into the background.

If it had been an option I would have also lost the copper highlights on the interior too!

I know............. :o :shock:
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

coaster88 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:31 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:04 am I love Quasar Grey on an ID3 - makes it look sleek and less bland. IMO though, I think it has the opposite effect on the Born. White, Silver and blue are the picks for me, and to a lesser extent, the flat grey,
I thought a bit more about what you said and you're right.

The Quasar Grey doesn't show the contrast with the black sections of the body as well as the other colours you mention. In doing so some of the design blends into the background.

If it had been an option I would have also lost the copper highlights on the interior too!

I know............. :o :shock:
My local dealer has a red one in. It’s a really nice deep metallic red, but I was all about the blue. Mine a V1 with the typhoon wheels and L tech pack which was strangely made for stock! I have had loads of comments about how nice the colour is. I just wish it had the copper on the wheels for that extra dash of Chav :D

I’ve not seen the Quasar Grey in the metal but It look great in photos, especially with the wheels you get on the eboost version. If I’d done a factory order it would have been between that and the blue. The flat grey looks nice on the Born and I don’t normally like it. It does really show up the design elements and leave more money for more toys on the car.