Wireless phone charger

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
Post Reply
nige
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:46 pm

Post by nige » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:14 am

Anyone experienced issues with the factory fitted wireless Qi charger?

After using fine with my iPhone 13 in a case for about 20mins a message comes saying it can no longer charge and to remove from the case. Also tested with an iPhone XR not in a case and same happened.
V1 Quasar Grey with Tech pack L

Stuffygibbon
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:43 am

Post by Stuffygibbon » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:24 am

nige wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:14 am
Anyone experienced issues with the factory fitted wireless Qi charger?

After using fine with my iPhone 13 in a case for about 20mins a message comes saying it can no longer charge and to remove from the case. Also tested with an iPhone XR not in a case and same happened.
Works OK with my iPhone 11 and the wife's 8 but it's pretty slow. It basically keeps the charge the same while using car play.
Born V2 with Tech pack L - Glacial White

Elea4
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:19 pm

Post by Elea4 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:10 pm

The charger is a hot mess. Literally.

I've seen countless owners moaning about problems with system errors, their phones overheating, bouncing around, etc.

User avatar
KEV1L
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:30 pm

Post by KEV1L » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:08 pm

The charger seems to work fine… IF you can centre your phone on the charger, which for my iPhone 11pro is about 1cm higher than the lip at the bottom holds it. Used to have the same problem in my Ateca. Might have to engineer some sort of bumper!
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-M | Aurora Blue

nige
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:46 pm

Post by nige » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:28 pm

KEV1L wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:08 pm
The charger seems to work fine… IF you can centre your phone on the charger, which for my iPhone 11pro is about 1cm higher than the lip at the bottom holds it. Used to have the same problem in my Ateca. Might have to engineer some sort of bumper!
Hi KEV1L I was wondering if that might be the case, I will give it a go and let you know if it works. Many thanks
V1 Quasar Grey with Tech pack L

nige
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:46 pm

Post by nige » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:40 pm

I did try using a wedge like you suggested KEV1L without much luck. I also had the same issue on the dealer loan Born we borrowed so I assumed it was a common issue. I raised it at the dealer and the technician showed me Cupra paperwork showing they know about the issue but are blaming Apple for moving the charging coils in the latter iPhone models making them incompatible with the wireless charging standard or something to that effect. All seemed a bit odd to me as my phone charges in other VW group cars ok. Anyway, I have found that you can remove the rubber matt easily which the phone sits on and it charges fine. I guess the actual issue maybe the rubber used is too thick or incompatible.
V1 Quasar Grey with Tech pack L

TomMurray
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:50 pm

Post by TomMurray » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:21 pm

My phone and my wife's lose more charge than they gain when connected and running Android auto. They also get hot - even more so than in my Ateca which is wired Android auto.

I decided to try plugging my phone in to charge and it was the same. Then I kept it plugged in and moved it OFF the wireless charging cradle. Everything was fine, charged up and wasn't as hot.

We have Samsung and Pixel, so not iPhone related.

mogyi
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:08 pm

Post by mogyi » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:42 am

TomMurray wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:21 pm
My phone and my wife's lose more charge than they gain when connected and running Android auto. They also get hot - even more so than in my Ateca which is wired Android auto.

I decided to try plugging my phone in to charge and it was the same. Then I kept it plugged in and moved it OFF the wireless charging cradle. Everything was fine, charged up and wasn't as hot.

We have Samsung and Pixel, so not iPhone related.
What I ended up doing is plugging the phone in and turning it face (screen) down while leaving it in the wireless charging bay. This way I can keep the phone nicly tucked away while not worrying about it exploding.

Post Reply

  • You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post