[UK] - Updated real-world range figures and e-Boost functionality?

All CUPRA Born related discussions
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

Due to collect my Born V2 e-Boost 77kWh real soon but haven't seen any updated posts in regards to range figures now we're seeing a change in the weather into Spring.

After watching a video in an unidentified EU country in the depths of Nov/Dec '23, they were getting around 120-150m (could have been km) with the 58kWh Born.

I would have stayed with the 58kWh version but considering the 77kWh was at the UK port ready, I decided to opt for it.

In addition to the above, I'm still confused on how the e-Boost variant works.

I've had a few dealers explain it differently to me where some say a few scenarios
  • it uses the 230bhp constantly but increases the torque when in 'Cupra' mode.
  • iIt uses the base 204bhp but then 'boosts' to 230bhp in 'Cupra' mode for 30s
  • iIt uses the base 204bhp but then 'boosts' to 230bhp in 'Cupra' mode for the period 'Cupra' mode is active.
And then some state it can only be used when the battery is over 80% (something that goes against the EV golden rule of 80%).

So as you can see, I'm rather confused how this extra power works.

Thanks in advance.

Ponk

Post by Ponk »

Hey RP

This information is hard to find in English, there is more info in the German forums where I am more active.

The correct info (according to forums)

- It uses the base 204bhp but then 'boosts' to 230bhp in 'Cupra' mode for 30s

The conditions to get the FULL 230bhp, battery temp between 23-50 deg c AND 85%+ SOC for 77kw or 55%+ for the 58kw battery (yes, lower % in the smaller battery)

When these conditions are not fully met, there is still a boost, but to a lessor degree. Lots of discussion about how much less on the German forums, but no exact answers.

In the 77kw, you notice the extra power but it's nothing special, in the 58kw it's seemingly more noticeable due to lighter battery.

I have the e-boost, but only because it was standard on all 77kw spec cars, so I had no choice. I have used in on occasions, especially when I know these conditions above are met. I have looked at the green bar on the dash which shows available power and actual power and studied the e-boost power level when you use it, but it was a while ago and I can't remember what it showed, I think it shows that when conditions are met, the green bar is 100% active, but if conditions are not met, you can see the power output isn't quite 100%, but I would need to test it again.

You active it with the steering wheel button, or on the infotainment, or I think it activates with the accelerator pedal kickdown, but again I would need to check the green power output setting when doing that.

You can set these to translate to English

https://www.mobiflip.de/cupra-born-test ... activator/
https://www.born-forum.de/forum/thread/ ... t-abrufen/

Hope that helps.
Cupra Born, 77Kw, Silver, 20" Firestorm, Advance Pack, Beats, Heat Pump, Swiss Model.
Shahev

Post by Shahev »

Mainly motorway in winter on the 77kwh Born can give us at 210 miles range with 3 adults and luggage. Pretty good.
Born 77 kw. V3. DCC Beats Heat Pump Firestorm
Roborn

Post by Roborn »

I’m in the uk with a 58kw v2 eboost. I have noticed my miles/kwh increase from 2. to 3.something and even into 4 in the last week or so. As regards the eboost, having fiddled with the drive modes a few times I’ve settled on D with comfort mode and don’t bother with the other modes. I think if you floor the accelerator you get the extra bhp regardless of mode - I’ve tried switching on Cupra mode before overtaking and don’t think there’s any difference tbh. I think the extra power is there whatever mode you’re in if you floor it. Never needed to overtake for 30 seconds, I guess you could floor the accelerator and see if power reduces after 30 seconds?
Ponk

Post by Ponk »

Shahev wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:58 pm Mainly motorway in winter on the 77kwh Born can give us at 210 miles range with 3 adults and luggage. Pretty good.
210 in winter (sub zero) with fully loaded car is excellent. But for these numbers to mean anything, please define “range”, your theoretical range from 100 to 0 SOC or a more realistic SOC like 100 to 20 or 80 to 20?

I don’t have much experience with winter long distance motorway range, for my shorter journeys below zero on motorway, using a “range” of 100 to 20 SOC (you can’t risk arriving at your destination with 0%) wouldn’t give me much more than 150miles. If you want to charge in public to only 80% to save time and not go below 20% again, then the range could drop to 115miles even.
Cupra Born, 77Kw, Silver, 20" Firestorm, Advance Pack, Beats, Heat Pump, Swiss Model.
mluisbrown

Post by mluisbrown »

In the summer here in Portugal I can get about 290km (180 miles) on the motorway (at 120km/h, about 75mph) going from 100% to 10% SOC with my 58kWh car with luggage and the full family (2 adults, 2 kids). Annoyingly it means I can't quite get from Lisbon to Tavira in the Algarve (300km) without charging, but it's also no problem stopping for 20 minutes to charge on the way. That's about 18kWh/100km which is what I normally get.

However in the winter that could easily jump to 22kWh/100km, so about 20% less range than in the summer. I don't have a heat pump on my car.
2023 Born 58kWh, Glacial White, 19" Typhoon Copper, Skyline, Blue Dinamica electric seats, Cargo, Privacy, Pilot M+, Tech M
2003 Audi A3 8L 1.9TDi PD 130 with 360,000kms.
headwrong

Post by headwrong »

RedPanda wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:56 pm they were getting around 120-150m (could have been km) with the 58kWh Born.
Christ - I get about 185 miles in winter on my 58kWh V2 and I drive like a nobhead.
Shahev

Post by Shahev »

Ponk wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:13 am
Shahev wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:58 pm Mainly motorway in winter on the 77kwh Born can give us at 210 miles range with 3 adults and luggage. Pretty good.
210 in winter (sub zero) with fully loaded car is excellent. But for these numbers to mean anything, please define “range”, your theoretical range from 100 to 0 SOC or a more realistic SOC like 100 to 20 or 80 to 20?

I don’t have much experience with winter long distance motorway range, for my shorter journeys below zero on motorway, using a “range” of 100 to 20 SOC (you can’t risk arriving at your destination with 0%) wouldn’t give me much more than 150miles. If you want to charge in public to only 80% to save time and not go below 20% again, then the range could drop to 115miles even.
I should have explained winter was more like 8 to 2 degrees Centigrade when we made the last journey.

I calculated range on % of battery used for the journey. We charge to 90% on AC but only to 80£ on DC.
Born 77 kw. V3. DCC Beats Heat Pump Firestorm