18" vs. 19" rims - real life difference

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
Mauzes

Post by Mauzes »

Hi All, I need to finalize my configuration and cannot decide between the standard version with the 18" inch standard grey Cyclone rim and the eboost version that comes with the 19" inch Typhoon rim. Obviously the 19" Typhoon rims look much better, but I am wondering about 2 potential issues with the larger rims:
- Loss in range. I know the official site gives a very minor range difference but it's WLTP, real life experience is usually very different.
- Loss in ride comfort. It is a general rule of thumb that a higher wheel mass and a tyre with lower profile will result in a stiffer ride and acts less favourably on bumpy roads (road quality is quite terrible in my country).
Has anyone actually compared the two wheel versions in these regards? Unfortunately I cannot test it becasue the dealers don't have the exact models as test cars available now.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I can compare my old ID3 (essentially the same car with cosmetic differences) on 18" wheels to our Born on 19" wheels. The Born rides better - I think that's more to do with tyre brand than wheel size. 18" ID3/Born come on Bridgestone tyres more often than not. They are horrendously hard and just poor for every tyre attribute except wear. 19" ID3/Born usually come on Continental EcoContact 6, a much better tyre.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
JBorn

Post by JBorn »

I noticed a big difference between my 20" rims and the 18" on a courtesy Born I had. The 18" felt softer over bumps, but the 19" is probably a good compromise of looks and ride comfort. You're not wrong that it knocks a bit off the range.

The 19" will probably corner a bit better than the 18" as well, but unless you want to replace your tyres soon after you buy the car I'd suggest you don't throw it round the corners... I made that mistake and the center of the tyres are fine whilst the edges are very worn. Before you ask, yes I have them pumped up to exactly 36psi when tyres are cold!
Pugboy

Post by Pugboy »

I don't think it will impact range as the 19" has skinny tyres.

I believe some cars will up to a wider tyre which in driving terms the car would benefit from as it's low grip, but it would impact the range.

To be honest the ride is good on 19" so no part of me would want the smaller wheels. The tyres are huge balloons anyway. It is not like when you change from a regular model to a sporty model and they fit low profiles.
The Born is fitted with like crossover/SUV size tyres.
Born V2 58 E-Boost
1989 Fiat Ducato Motorhome
2012 Fiesta Econetic Titanium