Lane Assist - remembering the previous setting!

All CUPRA Born related discussions
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

mluisbrown wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:22 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:51 pm Doesn't that just demonstrate how useless the system is and that it's only there to mitigate poor driving habits?
Not at all. It's a safety feature that could literally save your life if for whatever reason you lost consciousness whilst driving. If you drive well it doesn't interfere.
Like seatbelts, airbags and ABS brakes before it, it will reduce road accidents and fatalities, and I'm pretty sure it will become a mandatory feature on new cars in the future. I'm pretty sure that the reason you can't have it disabled by default is existing regulation.
When LA tries to tug you towards lane narrowing cones that it seemingly doesn't see, I'm better off without it.
You're exaggerating. It's very easy to resist and/or override the very occasional misplaced "tug" of the wheel.

One more thing worth bearing in mind: if you were to have an accident that lane assist could have helped you avoid, and the insurance company discovers that you've changed OBD11 settings to disable it by default, they could potentially void your insurance.
Mine isn't disabled as such, the car now remembers last setting between ignition cycles, so it stays off until I switch it on again.

The insurance company would find it very difficult to try and refuse a claim because you switched a system off that the car lets you switch off (albeit in an inconvenient method) by default.

The only situation I could see it potentially saving my bacon is if I fell asleep at the wheel. They could solve the same "issue" by having a capacitative steering wheel that keeps reminding you to get a grip on the wheel if you have no fingers on it - that would be far more sensible, as there's really no excuse not to have at least 1 hand on the wheel at all times. Either that, or like I said before, have lane assist to recognise the true gap within a partially obstructed lane. It's a poorly executed system IMO.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565

Ponk

Post by Ponk »

mluisbrown wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:22 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:51 pm Doesn't that just demonstrate how useless the system is and that it's only there to mitigate poor driving habits?
Not at all. It's a safety feature that could literally save your life if for whatever reason you lost consciousness whilst driving. If you drive well it doesn't interfere.
Like seatbelts, airbags and ABS brakes before it, it will reduce road accidents and fatalities, and I'm pretty sure it will become a mandatory feature on new cars in the future. I'm pretty sure that the reason you can't have it disabled by default is existing regulation.
When LA tries to tug you towards lane narrowing cones that it seemingly doesn't see, I'm better off without it.
You're exaggerating. It's very easy to resist and/or override the very occasional misplaced "tug" of the wheel.

One more thing worth bearing in mind: if you were to have an accident that lane assist could have helped you avoid, and the insurance company discovers that you've changed OBD11 settings to disable it by default, they could potentially void your insurance.
It's a personal choice really, it's hardly worth trying to persuade others this way or that way.
My opinion, it can be a good system, but can also pull the wheel when you don't expect it and can catch you out if your are not holding the wheel tight, however, in the Born, it is pretty light interference and it doesn't bother me much, in the Kamiq my wife used to have, it was downright dangerous, aggressively pulling the wheel! I leave it on in the motorway and if I'm just going to the shops where it won't activate, and put it off for anything in-between.

As far as insurance goes, it's been discussed in other forums and 99% proven that lane assist off by OBD11 does NOT invalidate insurance.

FWIW, the easiest to disable and enable LA in the Born is to add it to the Fav button on the top right (AFAIK).
Cupra Born, 77Kw, Silver, 20" Firestorm, Advance Pack, Beats, Heat Pump, Swiss Model.
whathappened?

Post by whathappened? »

FWIW, the easiest to disable and enable LA in the Born is to add it to the Fav button on the top right (AFAIK).
[/quote]

ooooo please explain how to do this!

regards
Roborn

Post by Roborn »

The last thing I want to do with my born is try to mess with the software at all! It’s already less than optimal, to be polite!
s3akr

Post by s3akr »

It's not messing with the software as it's not a hack or anything intrusive, it's just that in some markets it isn't a legal requirement to have it default to 'on' and so there is a built in setting that can be selected between on, off and memory.
2022 Born V3 77KW - Aurora Blue, Beats, DCC, Heat Pump, Cargo Pack, 20" Blizzard Copper Wheels, Tech Pack M, Aurora Blue Seats
2021 Macan GTS (too many options)
2012 Cayman R (the right options)
1998 Boxster 2.5 (full poverty spec + 15 bad owners)
Ponk

Post by Ponk »

whathappened? wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:47 pm FWIW, the easiest to disable and enable LA in the Born is to add it to the Fav button on the top right (AFAIK).
ooooo please explain how to do this!

regards
[/quote]

The very top right of the screen is a small white fav icon, press it and in there you can choose 4 favorite options. I think I have lane assist, Autohold (handy for lots of start stop but not ideal when parking) And some other options. Give it a try.

As for the risk of setting lane assist off permanently, my brother in law done it on his Formentor and since then the software has completely messed up. Of course this doesn’t means it’s a high risk, maybe he did something wrong, but trying it has its risks.
Cupra Born, 77Kw, Silver, 20" Firestorm, Advance Pack, Beats, Heat Pump, Swiss Model.
Born2Ride

Post by Born2Ride »

Ponk wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:15 pm The very top right of the screen is a small white fav icon, press it and in there you can choose 4 favorite options. I think I have lane assist, Autohold (handy for lots of start stop but not ideal when parking) And some other options.
Wonder if you are on later or earlier software? Mine does not have Lane Assist as a favourite option. software 3.2. Autohold. Clima, Heated Steering wheel etc are there.
Ponk

Post by Ponk »

Sounds strange, I think I'm on 3.2? I have 15 options to choose from in manage favs.
Last edited by Ponk on Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Born2Ride

Post by Born2Ride »

Thanks for reply. Can't see your Google pics but.. I see these: Interior Monitoring; air care clima; air con immediately; background lighting; home; to work; navigation announc; sound; tp; Bluetooth;hotspot; auto hold; audio; clima & steer wheel heating.
No sign of lane assist?
Ponk

Post by Ponk »