Heated Steering Wheel

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
rsg444

Post by rsg444 »

Hi all, I noticed that there is a setting that enables the heated steering wheel to heat up when you start the car when "below a certain temperature". Does anyone know what this "certain temperature" is? Honestly, how are VAG allowed to release such poorly defined parameters lol!

TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

rsg444 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:42 pm Hi all, I noticed that there is a setting that enables the heated steering wheel to heat up when you start the car when "below a certain temperature". Does anyone know what this "certain temperature" is? Honestly, how are VAG allowed to release such poorly defined parameters lol!
Where is the setting? I bugs me I can turn on the cabin heating and rear window heater by the app and not the steering wheel via the app!

As for the threshold of activation, I’d guess is <15c and >5c such is my faith in VAG to make it useful 😂
SirRahikkala

Post by SirRahikkala »

TheBornIDentity wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:11 pm
rsg444 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:42 pm Hi all, I noticed that there is a setting that enables the heated steering wheel to heat up when you start the car when "below a certain temperature". Does anyone know what this "certain temperature" is? Honestly, how are VAG allowed to release such poorly defined parameters lol!
Where is the setting? I bugs me I can turn on the cabin heating and rear window heater by the app and not the steering wheel via the app!

As for the threshold of activation, I’d guess is <15c and >5c such is my faith in VAG to make it useful 😂
To my understanding not all cars have the steering wheel heating but on my car the setting is located in clima section and right side it has it's own 3-stage toggle.

https://totallyev.net/wp-content/upload ... ntrols.jpg
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."
rsg444

Post by rsg444 »

I was under the impression that all Borns had the heated steering wheel.

The setting can be found in the climate settings on the right hand side.

The auto on under certain temperature can be found by selecting the heated seats function and then you’ll see a settings cog, under which there are settings for the heated steering wheel.

Nice intuitive user experience right there! Apple must be so envious lol.
s3akr

Post by s3akr »

...and it gets hot. Not just warm but actually hot. Maybe it's just our car, but it seems to be almost too much heat.
2022 Born V3 77KW - Aurora Blue, Beats, DCC, Heat Pump, Cargo Pack, 20" Blizzard Copper Wheels, Tech Pack M, Aurora Blue Seats
2021 Macan GTS (too many options)
2012 Cayman R (the right options)
1998 Boxster 2.5 (full poverty spec + 15 bad owners)
Roborn

Post by Roborn »

We had a heated steering wheel in a Ford Puma which just had the one setting - which was basically nice for about a minute, a bit too warm for the next minute, then uncomfortable! Tbh in all my years of driving I’ve never once thought ‘this steering wheel is too cold’ so I never use it. Heated seats are great but just don’t get the point of heated steering wheels at all!
s3akr

Post by s3akr »

If they're judged right in terms of temp, they are great - we have a single setting, nicely warmed steering wheel in the other car and it's lovely. Who needs or even uses uses Level 3 in the Born ? It would boil water!
2022 Born V3 77KW - Aurora Blue, Beats, DCC, Heat Pump, Cargo Pack, 20" Blizzard Copper Wheels, Tech Pack M, Aurora Blue Seats
Roborn

Post by Roborn »

In answer to the original question I also set mine to come on ‘at a certain temperature’ and noticed it came on today at 9 degrees Celsius outside so just switched it off (thought it might be nice at the lowest setting in a freezing cold evening or morning as I first get in the car)
MikeBornV2

Post by MikeBornV2 »

I think I've found a pretty consistent bug in the Born OS, where setting it to automatically come on, even if you set it to Low, means it comes on full bore burn-your-hands intensity. Whereas if you just turn it on manually it's more gentle at Low. So I don't do it automatically.
V2, no eBoost, in Blue.
Took the DCC and panoramic roof options.
s3akr

Post by s3akr »

MikeBornV2 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:56 pm I think I've found a pretty consistent bug in the Born OS, where setting it to automatically come on, even if you set it to Low, means it comes on full bore burn-your-hands intensity. Whereas if you just turn it on manually it's more gentle at Low. So I don't do it automatically.
A bug ? In a VAG EV ? Surely not!

Good info though, thank you - I haven't tried it manually so I'll switch it to that setting and see if that's bareable.

It works so well in our other VAG car with a handy little switch at 6 o'clock between the spokes of the steering wheel.