Terrible service from Cupra!

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
SPARTAN SAM H

Post by SPARTAN SAM H »

The situation so far..
My vehicle went in for a software update on the 31st July 23 which failed resulting in the loss of all sound from the vehicle, loss of parking sensors, loss of SOS capability, loss of voice capability, intermittent faults with Android Auto / Apple Car Play among further possible unknown faults.

Cupra (Dealer omitted) attempted several reinstallations but I was advised on returning the courtesy car and collecting the vehicle and rebooking once they had confidence in their update procedure.
I raised a complaint with Cupra UK (Customer Service) and requested a different service provider and I was assigned to Cupra (Dealer omitted). They initially inspected the vehicle and advised a replacement control module needed to be ordered but they could not provide a lead time, suggesting potentially 6 weeks+.
I requested if Cupra UK could expedite this order and eventually was advised the part would arrive Saturday 14th October so I scheduled my vehicle with the dealer dropping it off 16th October. I was then advised hours after dropping my vehicle off the part was going to arrive on the 26th and did I wish to collect and drop off again.
As of 17 Oct 23 I was still unable to use the majority of my vehicle.
Raised my frustrations with Cupra UK and whether I could get any compensation / goodwill based on my experience of Cupra in general and was told there is nothing more they can do and that the situation now sits with the retailer (they have covered the cost of the courtesy car fuel / insurance)
I was then asked what next steps did I want to take (no suggestion from the customer service advisor) and I asked whether rejection or replacement would be an option pending whether the repair the next week would work and was advised I needed to take this up with my original retailer who would need the car returned for assessment

As of 29 Oct 23:
Unfortunately the part did not turn up as expected on the 26th October, and it didn't turn up on the 27th.. despite having an ETA of the 26th and it's ETA changing to "No ETA for arrival" .. was hoping to have a fully working car again by the time Id returned from my Holiday but it didnt happen, at this point it was 90 days since I could listen to music, use parking sensors or any voice control .. I would have thought by this point they would have resorted to robbing the part from a stock car to get it going..

As of 11th Nov 23:
I was advised 06 Nov the part had been located, apparently coming from VW Castle which is why it was hard to provide an ETA as parts apparently do not usually come from VW Castle.
I was advised the customer service agent had been in contact with VW Castle and the part had a confirmed ETA of the 13th and that he would contact the dealer and ensure I was priority for the repair meaning I would get in ASAP and that a courtesy car would be provided. All looked positive following 103 days of having the faults.
I had to chase up an update on the 10th November as the agent was supposed to provide further update and was advised the part was now arriving on the 20th with a provisional date to get my car in for the 22nd, no apology or reason given for the date change, it was provided as if it had always been the 20th 😡.

Honestly I have no idea how a company functions on a system where ETAs for parts are 'confirmed' but essentially mean nothing and the part turns up whenever the parts department feel like it.

As of 29th Nov 23:
Currently 121 days since I've had a fully working vehicle.
The car was dropped in on the 19th and I was provided a Courtesy Car (V1 Spec).
I was advised on the 21st when I was due to collect my vehicle that there was an issue with the cable required to configure the module and they were trying to work out where to get a new cable (either borrow from another dealer or purchase aftermarket).
I have today (29 Nov 23) been told that in fact the update was attempted and due to a fault with the cable the update failed. Unfortunately this has put the module into fault state and a new 'new' module now needs to be ordered 😡 I'm waiting for an update tomorrow on potential lead times but not holding out much hope of getting anywhere!

Really feeling let down by Cupra and I am now looking at potentially rejecting a previously great car with the prospect of a huge loss of value to boot!

Would appreciate some thoughts on what I should / could do next if possible?
V3 58kWh Auto E boost Aurora Blue with Heat Pump, Tech M pack, Beats Audio and 20" Firestorm Alloys (with DCC).

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Go see the Citizens advice bureau (CAB), they will advise how to reject.

Unfortunately, the vehicle manufacturer accepts no responsibility in cases like these. Your contract lies with the supplying dealership or finance company (if you took finance). The Dealer will probably try to buy back at book price, leaving you out of pocket, which isn't really a rejection.

You need to get all of your money back, perhaps minus your monthlies to date, as you've had use of a car. I'm no armchair lawyer, go see CAB, and if you paid for any of the car (deposit etc, not accessories) by credit card, you might get assistance from them too
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
whathappened?

Post by whathappened? »

I am very interested in this post and I defo hope you get it resolved!!

Im a massive control freak and like to know everything about anything so to keep getting fobbed off without concrete dates when it's getting resolved would send me sideways!

I would defo look into rejection of the car, rejection within 6 months goes in favour of you vs after 6 months it goes with the retailer.

Keep us updated!
SPARTAN SAM H

Post by SPARTAN SAM H »

whathappened? wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:35 pm I am very interested in this post and I defo hope you get it resolved!!

Im a massive control freak and like to know everything about anything so to keep getting fobbed off without concrete dates when it's getting resolved would send me sideways!

I would defo look into rejection of the car, rejection within 6 months goes in favour of you vs after 6 months it goes with the retailer.

Keep us updated!
Will keep you updated for sure, it definitely is frustrating to say the least,

It's happened again now where I was told the part would arrive and be fitted this last Friday but no such luck and now back to a status of 'No ETA' so it is looking likely to push well into the new year, which is insane as its now 140 days since they caused the issue,

Worst bit was what the customer service manager said, as he said the reason it's hard to fight for parts is "we have to get our parts from Cupra HQ, and if we send them too many requests all together they can actually get annoyed and hold of sending of any parts" I mean that just seems insane,
V3 58kWh Auto E boost Aurora Blue with Heat Pump, Tech M pack, Beats Audio and 20" Firestorm Alloys (with DCC).
SabreDentist

Post by SabreDentist »

This is extremely disappointing behaviour from Cupra UK. Cupra supply the software updates to their dealer network - they have an obligation to ensure that said updates work as intended and dealers are provided with whatever technical support is required to make them work. A few tips:

A. Locate the contact details of the managing director of Cupra UK and write to him or her asking what they intend to do to provide you with a car that works as claimed when you bought it. Be polite, but firm. Most executives are blissfully unaware at how bad their Customer service operations are and there is a good change he/she will be horrified at your predicament.
B. Stipulate a deadline for resolution (eg 10 business days).
C. Copy your lawyer into the correspondence.
D. If steps A-C fail, you will know that Cupra UK has dumped on you. Immediately instruct your lawyer to arrange rejection. I am sure the case would stand up in court.
SPARTAN SAM H

Post by SPARTAN SAM H »

SabreDentist wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:26 pm This is extremely disappointing behaviour from Cupra UK. Cupra supply the software updates to their dealer network - they have an obligation to ensure that said updates work as intended and dealers are provided with whatever technical support is required to make them work. A few tips:

A. Locate the contact details of the managing director of Cupra UK and write to him or her asking what they intend to do to provide you with a car that works as claimed when you bought it. Be polite, but firm. Most executives are blissfully unaware at how bad their Customer service operations are and there is a good change he/she will be horrified at your predicament.
D. If steps A-C fail, you will know that Cupra UK has dumped on you. Immediately instruct your lawyer to arrange rejection. I am sure the case would stand up in court.
I couldn't find the MD email unfortunately :(

I've instructed the purchasing dealer I want to reject the vehicle on the grounds that there have been multiple attempts to rectify the fault and its still an unknown as to when I may get my car back, not to mention the faulty module would have been there from factory,

The trouble is it was past the 6 months mark by the time the issue arose so I am not sure how that'll effect the rejection, as the customer service manager for Cupra UK rang me again today to say that it may not be eligible for rejection due to age of the vehicle,
phope

Post by phope »

SPARTAN SAM H wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:50 pm
SabreDentist wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:26 pm This is extremely disappointing behaviour from Cupra UK. Cupra supply the software updates to their dealer network - they have an obligation to ensure that said updates work as intended and dealers are provided with whatever technical support is required to make them work. A few tips:

I couldn't find the MD email unfortunately :(

I've instructed the purchasing dealer I want to reject the vehicle on the grounds that there have been multiple attempts to rectify the fault and its still an unknown as to when I may get my car back, not to mention the faulty module would have been there from factory,

The trouble is it was past the 6 months mark by the time the issue arose so I am not sure how that'll effect the rejection, as the customer service manager for Cupra UK rang me again today to say that it may not be eligible for rejection due to age of the vehicle,
A summary of your rejection rights under the Consumer Rights Act in relation to motor vehicles

Combined.jpg

Cupra Born | V2 | 77kWh E-Boost | Geyser Silver | North East Scotland
5t3v0 666

Post by 5t3v0 666 »

Your first action should be to write to the complainant's department of the finance company,explaining your reasons for rejection,
If you are unhappy with their response,you then escalate your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service,
They will advise if you have grounds for a claim.
I recently rejected a new MG4 that was delivered with paint damage.
Be prepared for a slog, it's not a quick process,but I ended up handing the car back & received a refund & some compensation.
I now have a new born V3 which is fantastic compared to the MG4.
Good luck.
SPARTAN SAM H

Post by SPARTAN SAM H »

Hi All,

Apologies for the delay in updates, its been a bit hectic as my Wife had our 2nd born just after Christmas,

The issue has now been resolved, it got to the point I had formally requested to reject the vehicle as there was a second part needed and they could provide no concrete ETA and with a baby about to arrive I needed to have a consistent vehicle. Following this within the space of about a week the part was delivered and installed and all faults have now been resolved, so I think it gained some traction once I'd looked to reject.

I have also come to an agreement with Cupra UK as to compensation / goodwill so satisfied as best as can be,

Its just unfortunate it took 4 months to fix my issue, I don't think it would have been half as bad if I didn't keep getting given dates for delivery / resolution only to have these not met and further dates plucked out of the air,

It does frustrate me Cupra UK doesn't have a UK based warehouse full of parts not readily available from the factory, I work in the manufacturing industry and its generally expected from our suppliers that parts will be available as needed to keep our machines online (worst case 1 week lead time normally) so its odd this isn't the case for Cupra / VW.
Ponk

Post by Ponk »

I also work in manufacturing, buying 8 million worth of parts every year since 20 years for the maintenance of Semiconductor production machines. I very rarely see any companies holding any kind of stock in a country by country basis, some hold stock in the EU (Netherlands is the most popular location by far), otherwise, the main stock is in a single country at the companies HQ, usually USA or Japan. With modern logistics, parts in stock USA or JP arrive in the EU max 3 days later. When you are talking about weeks of delays with Cupra parts, this isn't due to the stock location, this is due to the lack of any stock.
Cupra Born, 77Kw, Silver, 20" Firestorm, Advance Pack, Beats, Heat Pump, Swiss Model.