Time of day charging question

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Bodj

Post by Bodj »

Hello, I’ve ordered a V2 77 with e-boost which I’m sure will be with me sometime before 2023!

I’ve not had a home charging point installed yet and I have a question…

Can I set the car to charge only between certain times of night if that’s when my electricity provider gives me cheap power? Or do I need to have a ‘smart charger’ for that to happen?

If my charger wasn’t a smart one, would my car instantly draw power the moment it was plugged in?
There’s a variety of chargers out there and the cheapest ones aren’t ‘smart’ - so is the Born smart enough on its own? Do I need a smart charger?

Thanks!

Betty b

Post by Betty b »

Yes the born can set its own charging time.
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Vapour Grey
Bodj

Post by Bodj »

Betty W wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:57 pm Yes the born can set its own charging time.
Thanks, so a smart charger isn’t essential! 😀
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

A smart meter is essential, so your electricity knows when you're pulling charge to bill you at the cheap rate. If you don't already have one, you need a SMETS2 type smart meter.

Most new chargers are smart, and the ID3 doesn't do a great job of scheduling (the Born is essentially the sane car under the skin), so I'd rely on the smart meter to schedule reliably.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Bodj

Post by Bodj »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:12 pm A smart meter is essential, so your electricity knows when you're pulling charge to bill you at the cheap rate. If you don't already have one, you need a SMETS2 type smart meter.

Most new chargers are smart, and the ID3 doesn't do a great job of scheduling (the Born is essentially the sane car under the skin), so I'd rely on the smart meter to schedule reliably.
I have a smart meter, it was the smart charger I was thinking about…
dforetay

Post by dforetay »

Personally I gave up setting charging times on my Born. I had a lot of issues: never got the full programmed charge, sometimes it even never started the charging.

So now, I am just manually charging the car. I don’t know what the problem is but it is very annoying. And obviously ID3 owners seem to face the same issues. I hope there will be an update soon that will fix this.
Betty b

Post by Betty b »

That’s disappointing, mine has only been charged using default max 80% and never failed.
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Vapour Grey
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Betty W wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:55 pm That’s disappointing, mine has only been charged using default max 80% and never failed.
That's the way to go - set the max level of charge (e.g. 80% routinely) on the car, and leave the timings to the smart charger of your choosing. For anyone that has a dumb charger, like an old Rolec, you can make it a smart charger by buying the likes of an Ohme portable charger and plugging it in to the dumb one, then plugging your car into the portable charger. The car's systems are very poor for scheduling a charge from there, as anyone that goes looking on the ID3 forum will find out.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565