OVO Charge Anytime

All CUPRA Born related discussions
TaylorT2

Post by TaylorT2 »

Hi everyone,

Does anyone on here use OVO Charge Anytime?

Wondering how it compares to other tariffs and does it increase the price of electric like it does with other firms to compensate for the low cost off peak

Also what are the off peak hours with OVO Charge Anytime

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB »

I use it. It's a bit different to other EV Tariffs, in that it doesn't have defined off-peak hours. Instead, you simply tell Charge Anytime when you need your car to be charged by, and they guarantee to get it done. The charging happens at the 'greenest' time possible in terms of electricity generation and availability, with OVO deciding exactly when that will be. So I have mine generally set to be ready by 06:45, for example. But even if you set your 'ready by' time to be at some time that would normally be regarded as non-off-peak - eg 18:30 - they will still get it done at the 7p rate. Hence 'Charge Anytime'.

Currently it costs 7p per kWh, and there is no compensating increase in the cost of your other electricity usage. It's simply a 'bolt-on' to a regular tariff. I think it's pretty good value for money.
However, the potential catch is it's only your EV charging that you get the 7p rate for - you can't time-shift the laundry/dishwasher/home batteries to take advantage of the low rate.

It's what's called a 'type of use' rather than a 'time of use' tariff.
TaylorT2

Post by TaylorT2 »

MikeyB wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:24 pm I use it. It's a bit different to other EV Tariffs, in that it doesn't have defined off-peak hours. Instead, you simply tell Charge Anytime when you need your car to be charged by, and they guarantee to get it done. The charging happens at the 'greenest' time possible in terms of electricity generation and availability, with OVO deciding exactly when that will be. So I have mine generally set to be ready by 06:45, for example. But even if you set your 'ready by' time to be at some time that would normally be regarded as non-off-peak - eg 18:30 - they will still get it done at the 7p rate. Hence 'Charge Anytime'.

Currently it costs 7p per kWh, and there is no compensating increase in the cost of your other electricity usage. It's simply a 'bolt-on' to a regular tariff. I think it's pretty good value for money.
However, the potential catch is it's only your EV charging that you get the 7p rate for - you can't time-shift the laundry/dishwasher/home batteries to take advantage of the low rate.

It's what's called a 'type of use' rather than a 'time of use' tariff.
I have a Hypervolt Home 3 Pro, assuming this would be compatible with Charge Anytime
MikeyB

Post by MikeyB »

I think the Hypervolt 3 has recently been added to the Charge Anytime compatibility list, but you should check with OVO to be certain. I seem to remember some chat about it on their web forum.

The way Charge Anytime works, you either have to have a compatible charger (in which case, any car you connect can get the cheap-rate charging), or a compatible car (in which case any charger will do). The Cupra is on the compatible cars list, so even if your Hypervolt wasn't, you'd still be OK.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

I have the same energy deal and I couldn't have put it any better than @MikeyB has above - excellent summary.
The only thing I would add is I had to turn off the smart functionality on my home charger (ev.energy) so the Ovo app and Cupra Born can communicate uninterrupted, so to speak.
I'm a huge fan of Ovo Energy's Charge Anytime plan!
Cupra Born V2 E-Boost Aurora Blue
TaylorT2

Post by TaylorT2 »

Monkey wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:40 am I have the same energy deal and I couldn't have put it any better than @MikeyB has above - excellent summary.
The only thing I would add is I had to turn off the smart functionality on my home charger (ev.energy) so the Ovo app and Cupra Born can communicate uninterrupted, so to speak.
I'm a huge fan of Ovo Energy's Charge Anytime plan!
That's a good point you've reminded me off.

With your Charge Anytime do you have it connect directly to the car or connect to the charge point
MikeyB

Post by MikeyB »

If your charger is compatible, connect it to your charger. That way, you can charge visitors/friends/relatives cars as well as your own. I have my Indra Smart Pro connected, and it's working well.

It looks like the Hypervolt is compatible, so you're sorted.