Key not detected

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
michbright

Post by michbright »

And so the strange saga continues...

Picked up a hire car on Saturday - brand new vehicle, never driven by anyone before, so at least there's that.

Born has been left standing outside since the last attempt to recover it on Friday. My other half went to the car today to get my son's car seat out the car and lo and behold, everything is working fine! He took the car for short drive and everything seems to be absolutely fine. Most bizarre.

So now we've cancelled the recovery and will return the hire car when it's convenient for us. As much as I'm tempted to send it back to Cupra anyway to be looked at, I very much suspect they would try to charge us for recovery and then to run diagnostics if they can't find anything wrong with it. On the plus side, it's now on their list for recall once they have a technician available to look at the battery recall fault.

Interestingly, there was a car stolen a couple of roads up from us just a few weeks ago, also a VW Group car, where the key was cloned for the thieves to be able to steal it.
Cupra Born | V1 | Aurora Blue

michbright

Post by michbright »

Yet another update on this strange phenomenon... after working fine for nearly 2 weeks the issue reared its head again on Sunday afternoon... so, another call to Cupra Assist. They sent out a technician and they couldn't get it to work. First recovery vehicle came on Monday morning and couldn't get it onto the truck so said they would order a Easy Track. Second truck turns up a couple of hours later, no Easy Track, but key suddenly working again, albeit that a lot of other random error messages came up when he started the car! He took the car anyway because that is what he was instructed to do.

It's now been at Cupra since Monday afternoon and I've not heard a thing from them about it. I did get a bit annoyed with the receptionist in the service department, who tried to claim that they thought it could be an issue because the fob batteries weren't official Seat batteries... hell no! They were changed with Varta batteries and the Cupra Assist technician checked them and changed them again when they attended on Sunday, all fine. Each time, the error message is that something in the system is corrupt.

In the meantime, I'm in a petrol hire car... let's hope they can get to the bottom of the issue because there is clearly something going wrong.
Cupra Born | V1 | Aurora Blue