Horn Upgrade

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
JBorn

Post by JBorn »

Was thinking of getting a new, very, very loud horn...

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/hor ... 77-e-boost

Does anyone know where the horn connection is in the bonnet? Is it easily accessible or is it lower down 🤔

Can't find that anyone has done this yet on the forums...

Would like to put on the original hirn circuit if possible... as that's the instinct in an emergency

Some kind soul did a hit and run on me the other day whilst i had my hand firmly applied to the horn, and I think it would have been avoidable if VW hadn't put in a pathetic single tone noddy toot which is on parr with a clavinova sound effect

phope

Post by phope »

The horns tend to be located lower down in the front chassis area, probably tucked away under wheel arch liners/front bumper areas

The Born, along with a few other newish VAG cars, has a single tone horn, rather than the dual horns found on most other VAG cars

You can get a retrofit wiring loom to allow the fitting of dual tone horns, and find a suitable 2nd horn either new or 2nd hand.

For example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265924076377

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265924076377
Cupra Born | V2 | 77kWh E-Boost | Geyser Silver | North East Scotland
JBorn

Post by JBorn »

Thanks Phope...

Does anyone know where I could find a diagram showing where the loom would connect? I thought most horns are connected with a fairly simple 12V circuit which is easy to hijack with a new one. That loom you show looks like it may require a special connection though further to what most horn upgrade kits come with...

Yup, I noticed the single tone 😄

Thanks 😊
JBorn

Post by JBorn »

Having looked into it a bit more, looks like I will need to find where the loom connects. Ideally I can just leave the original horn there wherever it is mounted and potentially reconnect it when I sell the car. All I need to do is plug in a compatible new horn to the socket which the current OEM horn is connected to and shove it in one of the many open spaces under the bonnet.

Any help would be appreciated in finding this!
JBorn

Post by JBorn »

Horn has been found 😄 (I think?)

It's very hard to see and you can only just see it at a certain angle. At least, I'm pretty sure it's the horn! Could anyone here confirm? I can't see that it has a snail shape but it may be one of those designs which are just a sort of oval shape.

As you predicted, it is (facing the front of the car) at the bottom left behind the bumper. It should be accessible by removing the wheel well cover - which is just a few TX screws when the wheel is at full lock. Already had to open it to reattach parking sensor so should be easy.

I may just reach down, disconnect the loom (the loom seems to be part of a shared wire and connects right into the horn - so i will have to connect to where it ends up. Unless i can find where the wire comes from and disconnect it there?) and plug in a new horn, and then zip tie the new horn somewhere.

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-24 at 00.02.12_2a8fe291.jpg