Low frequency noise when drive is selected

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

New member and ID3 owner for the moment.
Test drove a Born today and found as soon as I selected D B OR R a low frequency noise appeared almost like AC fan was running???
Sales guy took me to 2 other new Borns and they all did the same.
Cupra have no idea what that noise is and if I can here it with age related hearing loss its probably quite loud????
Anyone know what causes it?
My ID3 is silent until moving!
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE

Nacaduct

Post by Nacaduct »

Might it be the heat pump?
Cupra Born since β€˜22
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Nacaduct wrote: ↑Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:12 pm Might it be the heat pump?
No. There was no Climate on. All three Borns we tried were the same. I'm wondering if it's a variation of the pedestrian warning that the ID3 has when moving.
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Betty b

Post by Betty b »

Strange as ours is silent.
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Vapour Grey
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Betty W wrote: ↑Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:38 pm Strange as ours is silent.
That is a puzzle then.
Just to be sure. Put your foot on the brake and select a drive mode.....then the noise started like a fan starting up, low frequency, but no Climate selected. All three car were tested stationary as we were in a showroom.
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Have they slapped a "Soundaktor" on for Cupra/Sport mode, to make it sound like you've got a V8 under that tiny bonnet?
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

monkeyhanger wrote: ↑Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:47 pm Have they slapped a "Soundaktor" on for Cupra/Sport mode, to make it sound like you've got a V8 under that tiny bonnet?

πŸ˜†
I think it will annoy me until I know what it is and why it does it. The Saleman said he thinks its one of those "running in" things. I think not said I.
As an aside their lack of knowledge was a bit of a worry. I asked what SW version was loaded and they had to get a Master Technician. By then I had the keys and scrolled through to find version 3 in place. The Master Technician turned up and I told him I found it was version 3 and he proceeded to ask how I knew that. I then put my training hat on 😁
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Betty b

Post by Betty b »

We have a full electric Citroen and as you say when in drive or reverse it makes a low hum for pedestrian but our born is completely silent in both drive and reverse.
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Vapour Grey
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Daveion wrote: ↑Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:10 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: ↑Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:47 pm Have they slapped a "Soundaktor" on for Cupra/Sport mode, to make it sound like you've got a V8 under that tiny bonnet?

πŸ˜†
I think it will annoy me until I know what it is and why it does it. The Saleman said he thinks its one of those "running in" things. I think not said I.
As an aside their lack of knowledge was a bit of a worry. I asked what SW version was loaded and they had to get a Master Technician. By then I had the keys and scrolled through to find version 3 in place. The Master Technician turned up and I told him I found it was version 3 and he proceeded to ask how I knew that. I then put my training hat on 😁
In forums such as this, we all become a lot more knowledgeable than the average car salesperson with their particular model, and technicians these days are told what parts to replace by the computer, they don't seem capable of diagnosing themselves or are discouraged from doing so because if they ignore the computer and duagnose/fix themselves, the warranty claim for reimbursement will be denied.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Betty W wrote: ↑Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:05 am We have a full electric Citroen and as you say when in drive or reverse it makes a low hum for pedestrian but our born is completely silent in both drive and reverse.
Hmmmm excuse the punn 😊
The 3 showroom cars were all making the noise.
The Salesman said you could hear it outside so I'm going to put it down to pedestrian warning until I find out otherwise.
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE