Just about to pull the trigger on an ID3 until I saw the Cupra

New to the CUPRA Born Forums? Introduce yourself here
Paley

Post by Paley »

We've been looking around for an EV for some time. Finally, having test driven an ID3 yesterday and a Mustang Mach E, and having looked at all the well-reviewed competitors, we decided the id3 was the right one. Main problem for me is the rubbish stereo. Whatever car we've had - and we've had a few - always had a great stereo. Used to be a sound engineer as somebody else on here. Anyway, in my final browse on the internet I came across the Born and I really like it. Not sure why I didn't consider it earlier. Only issue seems to be the lack of connectivity. Now hoping to see one tomorrow or day after. If we change our minds is there any extra we should definitely pay for? Looks like Beats is a definite. Thanks in advance. Paley

Ponk

Post by Ponk »

It's really hard to say what extra's you should definitely get, the list isn't that big compared to some makers. It's more of a personal choice as you will get very different opinions here.

Battery size choice, apart from range, bear in mind the 77kw means you can not get a pano roof or a 3rd seat in the back (due to weight limits).
Wheel size, go for 20" if you prefer the look and don't mind sacrificing a little bit of range or the extra cost of replacement tyres etc. Maybe the 19" ride slightly better on UK roads too??
BEATS obviously
Sports seats are very comfortable and hold you pretty well, I read the standard seats do not offer as much support.
I like the HUD, had it in my Focus and loved them ever since (I'm a wannabe F16 pilot!!) (Focus HUD was much better though (military green font), but Born one is just fine).
I have the heat pump, but wish I hadn't wasted money on it, more to go wrong, payback is 10 years or more I read, in saying that, it can be below freezing for weeks on end here, but then again, I don't do long trips in winter!
The TECH packs, it's really up to you to put together what you want and can budget. I can't comment on V1, 2, 3 etc as we have different packs in Switzerland, so it's the usual balance of packs vs upgrading to the next version and getting stuff for free.
I also took the 5 year warranty inc of winter tyre storage/changing by the garage of purchase, but again, that's maybe only a local package here.

Lastly, there is a lot of negativity about the infotainment system etc, but I actually like it, maybe because I learned all it's features before the test drive and it was easy to setup etc, but give it a go and see. I would also try and get a test drive on your own, for at least 30 mins, and go drive around roads you know, to make sure it's the car for you. Obviously not possible for some if the garage is miles away.
Cupra Born, 77Kw, Silver, 20" Firestorm, Advance Pack, Beats, Heat Pump, Swiss Model.
Paley

Post by Paley »

Thanks. That's all very useful. Appreciated.
milkyway55

Post by milkyway55 »

Ponk wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:36 pmBattery size choice, apart from range, bear in mind the 77kw means you can not get a pano roof or a 3rd seat in the back (due to weight limits).
Depending on the market, the 77kWh model is 100% available with 5 seats - i.e. the 3rd in the back. I have one.

Only "standard" seats though, not the alcantara ones. Standard seats are as good at holding as the alcantara ones.
2023 Cupra Born, 77kWh eBoost, 5 seats, Aurora Blue, 19" Copper Typhoon, Pilot L + TPA, Tech L w/SAFE, AR-HUD.
Ponk

Post by Ponk »

I’ve never seen a 5-seat ID3 or Born 77kw in CH, DE or UK spec. Which market are you in that has this option?

Or is it the case that a base model 77kw with no options can have the seat as its within weight?
Cupra Born, 77Kw, Silver, 20" Firestorm, Advance Pack, Beats, Heat Pump, Swiss Model.
tuppaware

Post by tuppaware »

Ponk wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:13 pm I’ve never seen a 5-seat ID3 or Born 77kw in CH, DE or UK spec. Which market are you in that has this option?

Or is it the case that a base model 77kw with no options can have the seat as its within weight?
The base Australian model is 77kw and is 5 seats but as soon as you add any options it drops to 4
Aussie Owners review of the Born 2023
https://youtu.be/2tMEUtKVnOg
milkyway55

Post by milkyway55 »

Ponk wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:13 pm I’ve never seen a 5-seat ID3 or Born 77kw in CH, DE or UK spec. Which market are you in that has this option?

Ireland, I have every option except the heat pump, Beats, double boot floor, DCC & protect pack (all available) and pano roof (not available) and alcantara seats (not available)
2023 Cupra Born, 77kWh eBoost, 5 seats, Aurora Blue, 19" Copper Typhoon, Pilot L + TPA, Tech L w/SAFE, AR-HUD.
Paley

Post by Paley »

I'm in the UK market and will go for the beats and maybe techno pack for parallel parking. Still considering the larger battery but not sure yet.
Paley

Post by Paley »

Ordered Cupra Born v1 with Tech pack, Beats and paint. in the Uk the roof camera is apparently no longer available, nor is the Pilot L pack