e-Boost 230 PS vs 204 PS

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
RichT

Post by RichT »

While reading the Born brochure I noticed that the 230 PS e-Boost model has a different final drive ratio (12.976) than the standard 204 PS model (11.53).

So the e-Boost motor spins 12.5% faster at the same road speed - it's effectively permanently in a lower gear.
That's why it's quicker even though it uses basically the same motor (same max torque).

You would think there would be downsides to the difference - more motor noise, less efficiency at speed, and higher motor wear.
But there's absolutely no evidence of these.

The bad news is that it means a 204 PS car can never be software unlocked to 230 PS (even if it had the larger front brakes).
58 kWh V2 in vapor grey with pan roof and heat pump

MarcozBorn

Post by MarcozBorn »

Hi, could you post this brochure?
I haven't see any yet.
THX
Marco
RichT

Post by RichT »

You need to click on the "Download a Pricelist" link over on the right of the main Cupra Born webpage.
In the UK this links to -
https://www.cupraofficial.co.uk/content ... 4-2022.pdf
It's more of a brochure than just a price list.
MarcozBorn

Post by MarcozBorn »

Thank you!
I assume that 170kw has a longer gear ratio than 150kw
170kw version at 10.000 motor rev is 129 km/h
150kw version at 10.000 motor rev is 115 km/h

Here same info about ID.3
https://insideevs.com/news/400900/vw-1- ... arbox-meb/
RichT

Post by RichT »

Actually I think it's the other way around - the 150kW has the longer gear ratio.

Assuming final drive ratio = motor RPM / wheel RPM, and wheel circumference is approx. 2.19 m, then

170kw version - 10.000 motor RPM / 12.976 gives 770.7 wheel RPM, which is 101 km/h
150kw version - 10.000 motor RPM / 11.53 gives 867.3 wheel RPM, which is 114 km/h

Ie. the 170kW is effectively in a lower gear, which is why it accelerates better.
MarcozBorn

Post by MarcozBorn »

From the previous link, about id3 motor app310

"...The transmission (reduction) ratio of the electric motor speed to the wheels is 10x. It's a lot, because the highly efficient and compact electric motor reaches a 16,000 rpm maximum at speed of 160 km/h (100 mph)."

I assume that the gear ratio is different from electric motor and combustion motor.

Cupra 170kw is quicker than 150kw because it has 20 kw more!
Elea4

Post by Elea4 »

Hey all - greetings from Germany!

That gear ratio info in that brochure is simply wrong... there's no difference in the e-boost version. They're both 11.53.

I brought up the info on the German Born forum and this is what an engineer wrote:

"with a gear ratio of 12.976, a Born with a 215/50R19 tire would only do 157km/h at maximum engine speed of 16000rpm.

VW, however, turns 14750rpm in the series and thus manages 163km/h.

The 11.53 is the gear ratio of the ID.4s, which are also limited at 160km/h.

I have already written several times that when using the communicated maximum 16000rpm engine speed, the Born can reach 178km/h.

At 16000rpm engine speed, the Born runs 178km/h with 215/45R20 (ideally calculated without taking into account the drive charge of the tires).

The maximum speed limited in the software is reached at about 14500rpm at the engine....

This allows an increase in V_max on the Born, but not to 180km/h.

The ID.4 reaches the 182km/h at 15500rpm at the engine with the same gear ratio due to its larger wheels.

I assume that VW keeps 500rpm "reserve" to the maximum speed, so that a possible overspeeding is prevented, if the speed limiter doesn't stop quick enough"

https://www.born-forum.de/forum/thread/ ... #post14007

fwiw someone on the German forum just receiving an e-boost version. A first so far there.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I'm picking up mine on Wednesday from Cupra Twickenham - Glacial White, V2 e-boost/58kWh, L-Tech Pack, the standard black and Silver alloys.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

OK, I was left with the kids while my wife went to work to do some unplanned overtime, and I was in 2 minds whether to follow through on my 230ps V2 Born test drive (should've happened last week, but they hadn't PDI'd it when I turned up as arranged)at the local Seat/Cupra garage seeing as i've committed to buy the one at Twickenham. I decided to go with it and took the kids, with a promise (bribe) of an ice-cream at the beach later.

So the 230ps V2 was still sat in the showroom and I thought "here we go again, it's unavailable to test drive". The salesman who was supposed to be in wasn't and as the car hadn't been out yet, the guy I did speak to wasn't sure if it'd finished the PDI. They took about 20 mins getting it ready and I had a recce of all the Borns there (6 of them) - the V1s on 18" wheels all had Bridgestone tyres, the V2s on 19" wheels had Continental Eco Contact 6s on. I am apparently the first person to drive their E-boost V2 (apart from the techs doing the PDI). While we were waiting, one of the sales guys showed the kids the biscuits and told them to help themselves, so they had half their body weight in those 3 packs of bourbons and custard creams while we waited for about 6 cars to be moved so the 230 could be driven out of the show room.

So we got the car out and I was let loose with it for 30 mins, took it along the 50mph roads out of Sunderland (about 4 miles) and onto the dual carriageway A19. The handling was marginally better, but I think this is attributable to the 19" wheels with decent (not Bridgestone) tyres and lower profile tyres rather than the suspension being uprated. That ties in with my thoughts on last week's V1 with the same tyres as my ID3.

So, performance... Noticeable improvement, but it was not an astounding improvement, as the published 0-62 numbers alluded to. I'd liken it to the difference between putting your foot down in 4th or 5th in a 6 speed car and seeing that level of difference between the 2 gears. These EVs develop their power quite linearly so it doesn't feel much quicker, but the speedo numbers move up noticeably quicker and the motor whines harder. For me, it's still worth the difference,
It's a nice warm day, and possibly due to the tyres having not been scrubbed in yet, I was able to light up the traction control hoofing it in a straight line from a rolling start of 20mph.

The left steering wheel button on the 230ps variant cycles through all the driving modes (comfort/Individual/Eco/Performance, and the right one cycles between the driving mode selected by the left button or the touch screen and Cupra mode.

The copper/bronze embellishments are growing on me. The thing that most impressed me was the HUD - All new cars should have this as standard.

There was an Aurora blue Born (v2 204ps) being handed over while I was there - curiosity satisfied, didn't really like it in the flesh - too dark and too greeny (nowhere near as nice as Golf R Lapiz Blue). Its one of the colours I had considered for a factory fresh order.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Betty b

Post by Betty b »

Wow, not heard of anyone else test driving with e boost, and looks like you’ll get the conty tyres too.
Did it have the copper coloured wheels too?
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Vapour Grey