Garage door remote - battery drain

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

I ran into an interesting problem recently that may be of interest to others who actually garage their car and have a remote-controlled door opener.

I've been using one door remote from inside the house and one inside the car in my previous ICE car for over a year. I recently changed the battery in one of the remotes, the other was still OK. When I got the Born, I put the in-car remote in the cup-holder area in front of the phone charger area. Within a few days the battery had dropped power and then died. I swapped that remote with the one in the house and put a new battery in the remote that had come from the car. The remote that I had swapped in soon showed similar issues with low battery.

I took the one with the new battery and put it in my pocket while driving, with the pocket right next to the phone charger. By the time I got back, the new battery was totally dead. Essentially I had put new CR2032 batteries into two remotes and both were completely drained within a few days.

The only explanation seems to be that the wireless phone charger is so powerful that it affects normal button batteries. I now have one of the remotes in the car clipped to the driver's sun visor and it is still working OK after about a week.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023