Transport Blocks

All CUPRA Born related discussions
SPARTAN SAM H

Post by SPARTAN SAM H »

How bad was the knocking? Was it a plastic like thud? And over what sort of bumps? I.e. small potholes, speed bumps etc.

Have to say I forgot to ask when collecting if the transport blocks had been removed and can't check without a jack :/

It's a firm ride but can't say I've noticed any loud thuds but my paranoia is getting the better of me
V3 58kWh Auto E boost Aurora Blue with Heat Pump, Tech M pack, Beats Audio and 20" Firestorm Alloys (with DCC).

Lebo

Post by Lebo »

If you went down the smallest pot hole it would bang or front end would hardly move. The front suspension look high at the front as well. Hope this helps
davmatjo

Post by davmatjo »

SPARTAN SAM H wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:23 pm How bad was the knocking? Was it a plastic like thud? And over what sort of bumps? I.e. small potholes, speed bumps etc.

Have to say I forgot to ask when collecting if the transport blocks had been removed and can't check without a jack :/

It's a firm ride but can't say I've noticed any loud thuds but my paranoia is getting the better of me
Noticeable on some potholes for me. Very noticeable on speed bumps unless you go slow enough (<12mph or so) to not have them hit, even more so if only one side goes onto the bump.

I could see them without a jack just about but you have to pull up the covers quite far which is relatively difficult, I managed to just about get a picture with help where you can see the sliver of blue

IMG_4373.jpg

I would say the main thing is definitely the noise, it really sounds like you're damaging something in very normal driving conditions sometimes.
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

davmatjo wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:05 pm I would say the main thing is definitely the noise, it really sounds like you're damaging something in very normal driving conditions sometimes.
When you say noise, how would you describe it?

I'm starting to get a bit paranoid that the transport pucks have been left in mine now! Between 25 to 50mph I hear a noise that I'm going to get checked out next week at the dealer, to me it sounds like somethings rubbing part way through a rotation and then repeats over and over again. Sounds like metal on metal to me, but there's a slight vibration through the pedals that's in sync with the noise.

I'll be gutted if they've left them in, I've done just over 2600 miles so far, I'll be fuming!
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-July 22 - VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

The main noise you should be hearing is a bang when you go over a small bump (and feeling that harsh ride). You've effectively reduced the travel of the gas strut, but the spring doesn't put up much resistance to reaching that shortened travel. At the top of the gas strut there's a conical white rubber bump stop and the top mount bearing above it, which will take a battering with those transport blocks in.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
MATJES

Post by MATJES »

Did you manage to solve the noises and vibrations?

Rgds,

M
Blackeunos wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:43 pm
davmatjo wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:05 pm I would say the main thing is definitely the noise, it really sounds like you're damaging something in very normal driving conditions sometimes.
When you say noise, how would you describe it?

I'm starting to get a bit paranoid that the transport pucks have been left in mine now! Between 25 to 50mph I hear a noise that I'm going to get checked out next week at the dealer, to me it sounds like somethings rubbing part way through a rotation and then repeats over and over again. Sounds like metal on metal to me, but there's a slight vibration through the pedals that's in sync with the noise.

I'll be gutted if they've left them in, I've done just over 2600 miles so far, I'll be fuming!
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

MATJES wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:07 pm Did you manage to solve the noises and vibrations?

Rgds,

M
No, the garage said they checked it over when it had the rain sensor replaced... I have my doubts how thorough they were.
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-July 22 - VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys
Countrydweller

Post by Countrydweller »

Collected my new 77kWh V2 last Sat, just before Christmas. Drive home was horrible: have never experienced such hard suspension even in real sports cars. Car bouncing erratically over slightest uneven surface and banging from all 4 springs over merest imperfections.
Courtesy call on 27th in which I explained problem. They apologised but didn't suggest any cause but told to let them know if it got worse...how could it?
I called back on 29th saying it's no better and having discovered this forum and other VAG fora citing issue suggested transport blocks. Garage at pains to point out how experienced they are and so unlikely to have made this error, but invited me in this morning.
Within 15 mins of their having the car up on the hoist this morning, they quickly admitted none of the blocks had been removed and was all now fixed. They claim no damage done, though 100 miles driven. Blissful return journey of 35 miles!
Thanks to all on here who have previously flagged this issue; I'm very grateful!
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Countrydweller wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:09 pm Collected my new 77kWh V2 last Sat, just before Christmas. Drive home was horrible: have never experienced such hard suspension even in real sports cars. Car bouncing erratically over slightest uneven surface and banging from all 4 springs over merest imperfections.
Courtesy call on 27th in which I explained problem. They apologised but didn't suggest any cause but told to let them know if it got worse...how could it?
I called back on 29th saying it's no better and having discovered this forum and other VAG fora citing issue suggested transport blocks. Garage at pains to point out how experienced they are and so unlikely to have made this error, but invited me in this morning.
Within 15 mins of their having the car up on the hoist this morning, they quickly admitted none of the blocks had been removed and was all now fixed. They claim no damage done, though 100 miles driven. Blissful return journey of 35 miles!
Thanks to all on here who have previously flagged this issue; I'm very grateful!
Unbelievable that they failed to remove them. Does a PDI not include the briefest of drives just to tick all boxes? Others have said you know immediately something is wrong.
Glad you got it fixed. Bet the 35 mile drive was bliss.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Born2Ride wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:17 pm That's a really poor effort from the stealers, they should have been falling over themselves to apologize and make good. 400 miles with them installed could have caused damage, I suggest you keep all evidence of what happened just in case. I take it the ride was notably different? Perhaps not, if just one left I guess that's quite a lot of travel before the block stops the spring compression?
400 miles with them in, I'd find it hard to imagine that the top mount bearings aren't wrecked. I had them in for all of 80 miles on my Golf R and that wrecked the top mount bearings.

On front heavy ICE cars like the Golf, you only get the pucks on the front struts to stop the front end bouncing off the end stops of the front shocks on the ship from Emden. Given that the Born is heavy all over, with even weight distribution, I wonder whether they only put the pucks on the front struts, or all 4 struts.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565