B or D?

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
Nacaduct

Post by Nacaduct »

So I drive ALL the time in B… (except when in R)

What do you drive in?
Cupra Born since ‘22

Kernowboy

Post by Kernowboy »

D most of the time unless I’m going down a hill and want the additional braking effect. Not convinced there’s significant benefit to be had from staying in B normally and I prefer the more normal driving experience of D. May experiment a bit more if there is proof of benefit though.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I use D for general driving but B in traffic and built up areas. Coming from an ID3 I developed that habit from preference and not to squeeze every ounce of efficiency. I experimented a lot in the ID3 and found no matter how well I anticipated traffic ahead in D I could never better the miles/kW from driving in B. D and gliding though in my view is a more relaxing drive.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Nacaduct

Post by Nacaduct »

Agree with D being more relaxing, but I really LIKE the heavy braking when in B. When I drive by myself. So damn effective when slowing down. Or when overtaking. When flying by in 120km/h, you just let off the gas and the car slows down pretty fast. If another person is in the car, it must be horrible having that sudden jolt, so I try to drive as smoothly as possible…

On another note; really wish VW/Cupra would add a setting to let those who want one pedal drive.
Cupra Born since ‘22
BornAgain

Post by BornAgain »

I frequently swap between ICE and EV. It's really annoying to keep changing driving methods, so I just use D all the time. Feels more like ICE and don't have to change the way I drive.
It cant be right to have to keep foot on the accelerator to go downhill when in B.
Likewise, I suspect driving tests frown the use of one-pedal-driving in a test. Imagine what the examiner thinks if one never uses the brake pedal. Time will tell...
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

B is just awful, it feels like you're driving a car with a manual handbrake, that you've left on.

It's hard to maintain a speed smoothly if you're not using ACC to do so because the car's looking to stop when you ease off the throttle. It's clearly meant to mitigate a poor/inefficient driving style.

My biggest irk is that in Cupra mode making use of the extra the E-Boost has, D mode has plenty of enforced regen when you lift off the accelerator - why?
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
itsmeGAV

Post by itsmeGAV »

I use D mode all the time in the born and also did with my previous ID.3.

I will say though, B mode seems more aggressive in the Born than it did in the ID.3 so it's not a good experience imho. However in D mode in the born is definitely not as good as D mode was in the ID.3 as it would recognise speed changes/vehicles in front etc much much quicker so I tend to use more of the brake in the Born than I did in the ID.3.
Last edited by itsmeGAV on Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
June 2021 - Manganese Grey ID.3 Life Pro Performance - Andoyas - SOLD.
July 2022 - Aurora Blue V2 Born - Tech-L - loving it!
Nacaduct

Post by Nacaduct »

You are clearly a conservative bunch😂

B rocks, and has made driving a semi-new experince for me!
Cupra Born since ‘22
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Nacaduct wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:59 pm You are clearly a conservative bunch😂

It's a new experience, but for me it's also a worse experience. I drive much more smoothly in D mode - I like to be able to lift off the accelerator to maintain speed or very gently decelerate after anticipating the road ahead, and then use the brake pedal when I need to slow down, rather than always having to modulate the accelerator pedal.

Regeneration is good to recover wasted energy, but when you've a driving style that anticipates the road ahead and eases off rather than braking later and harder, the recuperation is quite small. There are some people that think B mode is more economical, but lifting off in B mode and pressing the brake pedal in D mode amount to the same thing, up to 0.25G.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:44 pm
Nacaduct wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:59 pm You are clearly a conservative bunch😂

It's a new experience, but for me it's also a worse experience. I drive much more smoothly in D mode - I like to be able to lift off the accelerator to maintain speed or very gently decelerate after anticipating the road ahead, and then use the brake pedal when I need to slow down, rather than always having to modulate the accelerator pedal.

Regeneration is good to recover wasted energy, but when you've a driving style that anticipates the road ahead and eases off rather than braking later and harder, the recuperation is quite small. There are some people that think B mode is more economical, but lifting off in B mode and pressing the brake pedal in D mode amount to the same thing, up to 0.25G.
I have heard that many times but without a device how would you know what a quarter of G is?
I prefere D but you can one pedal drive in B in a busy town or in stop start traffic.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE