Servicing

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Kernowboy

Post by Kernowboy »

New member here, took the plunge to electric last week following a test drive and now collect our V2 on Saturday; bit of an impulse purchase so I’m catching up on the detail, hastily changing energy tariffs (EDF fixed for 2 yrs , seems to be a no brainer) and working on a home charger.

Question is on servicing which I have been unable to get a clear answer on from the dealer; seems like the servicing schedule is tbc which is a bit odd. I was initially told by their tech guy it would be every other year just for a check up but another salesman said it would be annual. Obviously there’s not as much to service compared to ICE car but no doubt the warranty will have some kind of requirement to keep it valid. I’ve seen comment on 2 yearly for the ID3 but does anyone know what it is for the Born and/or likely costs?

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Kernowboy wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:54 am New member here, took the plunge to electric last week following a test drive and now collect our V2 on Saturday; bit of an impulse purchase so I’m catching up on the detail, hastily changing energy tariffs (EDF fixed for 2 yrs , seems to be a no brainer) and working on a home charger.

Question is on servicing which I have been unable to get a clear answer on from the dealer; seems like the servicing schedule is tbc which is a bit odd. I was initially told by their tech guy it would be every other year just for a check up but another salesman said it would be annual. Obviously there’s not as much to service compared to ICE car but no doubt the warranty will have some kind of requirement to keep it valid. I’ve seen comment on 2 yearly for the ID3 but does anyone know what it is for the Born and/or likely costs?
The Born and the ID3 are almost identical under the skin so don't believe the schedule will be any different. I sold my ID3 at 18 months but had confirmed that the service is 2 years or 20k miles.
I can't see that the service will be expensive.
Brake fluid change every 2 years as the oil is hygroscopic plus cabin filter. I think these are the only consumables on a normal service.
If that, along with a general inspection, traction battery terminal check?, costs more than £200 I would be surprised.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

You'll be surprised then.

Presumably in a move to preserve dealership servicing revenues, the official ID3 service prices are scandalous, despite VW's ID range promotional Web pages promoting cheap service costs as an advantage to EV ownership.

There's very few things that actually need doing, but the official schedule of works name a few tasks twice to make the list look more intensive and include items that are unnecessary or take seconds to do - including checking your type 2 cable that came with the car to make sure it isn't falling to bits, and even checking your charging port for cleanliness, despite it being sealed with a rubber gasket around the inside of the filler flap. They also make a big deal about topping you up to a full charge - thanks VW, I couldn't have done that myself at home for pennies.

The £17 pollen filter takes about 20 seconds to change, with no tools required - it's like changing a VHS tape. The rest of the service involves a few visual checks of the suspension/underside of the car and brake discs/pads on the front, as well as checking the tyres over (presumably adding a screw to one of your tyres to upsell you a new one). Then they change the brake fluid, which is almost certainly unnecessary within 5 years unless your brake fluid system has a leak to allow moisture ingress - a simple dip test is all that should be required to confirm the moisture content is in spec, but VW insist on replacing it - how environmentally unfriendly of them!

Wash and vac is also itemised on the service schedule now, but many would not need or want it (added scratches and swirls from the gritty sponge come free).

They also give you your first MOT to make things look better value than they are as MOTs cannot cost more than £55 by law, at current rates.

So, for your £359 (WTF?!?) you get a:-

20 second change of a £17 pollen filter, about 15 mins of visual checks, a £55 MOT and an £80 brake fluid change you almost certainly don't need. So £152 of itemised stuff there, plus another 15 minutes of visual checks and an unnecessary wash and vac cost an additional £207.

The true definition of highway robbery.

I will get mine done at an independent using the official pollen filter for about £120 if they do the wholly unnecessary brake fluid change. This will not compromise the warranty - EU consumer laws prevent the car manufacturers obliging you to have servicing done at their dealership, but all parts used need to be OEM.

Also, those sheisters at VAG have stopped the service you buy upfront being transferable with the car. So if you buy with your car and sell/trade in after 18 months, you just chucked away £359.

A Golf GTI service pack with 2 oil and filter changes and about 2 genuine hours of labour costs just £20 more, and at least half of that cost is actually going on tangible consumables.

Feeling ripped off yet?
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Kernowboy

Post by Kernowboy »

Certainly some upselling going on in that ID3 service pack. It’s only really the minimum service requirement to satisfy the warranty that I’m interested in. Be good to know if that’s every year or 2 years; it’s as much about the hassle as the cost. Hopefully Cupra will make their mind up at some point, should really be clear.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Servicing is every 2 years, with no mileage considerations - whether you do 3k miles a year or 30k miles a year
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Kernowboy

Post by Kernowboy »

Excellent, thanks; good news.
Stuffygibbon

Post by Stuffygibbon »

Hi,

Just had a call and email from Stoneache around a service plan they’re offering.

Just under £20 a month for 3 years with MOT included. The lady did say they’d ’service’ it each year which goes against the above. Any reason to believe SEAT have a yearly service model or are Stoneacre pulling a fast one?

£580 in all for 3 services and MOT. She did say they do the brake fluid on the second service.
Born V2 with Tech pack L - Glacial White
Stuffygibbon

Post by Stuffygibbon »

Stuffygibbon wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:42 pm Hi,

Just had a call and email from Stoneache around a service plan they’re offering.

Just under £20 a month for 3 years with MOT included. The lady did say they’d ’service’ it each year which goes against the above. Any reason to believe SEAT have a yearly service model or are Stoneacre pulling a fast one?

£580 in all for 3 services and MOT. She did say they do the brake fluid on the second service.
Just found the CUPRA servicing spelled out on the website and it’s 2 years. I’ve asked Stoneacre to explain themselves 🤣
Born V2 with Tech pack L - Glacial White
69982johnrashleigh

Post by 69982johnrashleigh »

Just had a letter from Stoneacre Cupra telling me my car is 1 year old next month and needs a service. The display in the car says next service due in 402 days. They are still trying to get me to pay every 12 months - They have been selling the Born for a year so they should know this by now. Maybe they do and they are just trying to rob us? Don' fall for it!
69982johnrashleigh

Post by 69982johnrashleigh »

Stoneacre called me to book the car in for the premature service? Told the guy NO its still got 400 days to go. He said how many miles have you done. I said 8500. He finished with "I will put a note on the system not to bother you again"!