Born Tyres - Stock and Winter ?

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Savage

Post by Savage »

Hi All,

My car, when it comes has Conti's fitted. (thank god, my last had Bridgestones and I never get on with them).

But I have seen some things regarding EV behaviour with RWD being a tad sketchy in slippery conditions.
That got me to thinking about winter tyres, and I found a set of S/H Ateca 18" wheels in GC to which I could fit some winters or all seasons.
But, TBH I like the wheels on the car and dont want to change them ! Although 19" All season tyres cost about £50 more per tyre, I wouldn't have to spend £400 on other wheels.
Also, good as the Contis appear to be from reports, they do not have that nice protection rib for the wheels, I try to avoid kerbs anway, but it gives a little piece of mind, and from what I can see the Michelin all season tyres I was looking at have that.

What are peoples thought on if its worth switching to all seasons, and the lack of rim protection on the Contis ?
Cupra Born V2 58KWh AFV 230 Auto E-Boost with Tech Pack L in Geyser Silver.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

The Contis seem to have reasonable rim protection in that if you just kiss the kerb, you won't scrape the wheels. With being heavy lumps with nigh-on perfect weight distribution, even though they're RWD, they're not tail happy like a 2010 BMW that has no weight over the rear wheels. I think most people in the UK could get away without Winter tyres, but there's always those places that freeze and snow more frequently than others.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
NormanCross

Post by NormanCross »

I'm glad you said that monkeyhanger. I've had 2 RWD BMW 1-series and they've been utterly useless in even the lightest dusting of snow :D

I was a bit worried about the Born (if it even arrives before next winter) but sound like it'll be alright.
Savage

Post by Savage »

I have to say, the EV in question was a BMW I3 and apparently the regen braking can not be disabled, where as I believe the born is selectable.

Although cross climates are undoubtedly better in the single digit temps, I have managed 37 years of driving UK winters on "normal" tires.
Cupra Born V2 58KWh AFV 230 Auto E-Boost with Tech Pack L in Geyser Silver.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

NormanCross wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:44 am I'm glad you said that monkeyhanger. I've had 2 RWD BMW 1-series and they've been utterly useless in even the lightest dusting of snow :D

I was a bit worried about the Born (if it even arrives before next winter) but sound like it'll be alright.
Given the weight distribution, the Born drives more like my old 4WD Golf R than my FWD Golf GTD.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565