First reasonoble length drive.... Hmm

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Deleted User 456

Post by Deleted User 456 »

Well I love the car, but there is no way on earth all this touchscreen nonsense doesn't drag your attention away from the road less than a button/dial.
Like trying to swipe through your radio favourites (while accidentality altering your volume and heating settings with your palm).

I love tech. I build electronic systems for a job.
But 6x direct preset favourite buttons will always be safer and faster than 'CAR', then 'MEDIA', then 'FAVOURITES', then 'SWIPE DOWN' (I have multiple favourites), then 'SWIPE LEFT' then 'SELECT'.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Stevolution wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:52 am Well I love the car, but there is no way on earth all this touchscreen nonsense doesn't drag your attention away from the road less than a button/dial.
Like trying to swipe through your radio favourites (while accidentality altering your volume and heating settings with your palm).

But 6x direct preset favourite buttons will always be safer and faster than 'CAR', then 'MEDIA', then 'FAVOURITES', then 'SWIPE DOWN' (I have multiple favourites), then 'SWIPE LEFT' then 'SELECT'.
Strongly agree. Funny how largely useless (and often counterintuitive) tech like lane assist positively influences an NCAP safety score, but these capacitative screens that require eyes off the road to accurately press the right area of the screen. I could operate my old Audi's jog dial and 2 buttons "blind" once I'd memorised the pathways.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Deleted User 456

OK, If you want to add another small gripe.... it taking you out of reverse when you open the door. I often open the drivers door slightly to see where the parking bay lines are at work when it's dark.... boff, and we are stationary.

And can we please have updates that don't change everything back to default. It's not hard.

Oh, and lane assist. Learn what massive puddles are. When I move to the centre because I don't want to submerge, I don't need you trying to turn me back into it #TurnitoffassoonasIgetinnow.

OK, I'll shut up
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

#getobd11andturnitoff.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
BORN SPURS

Post by BORN SPURS »

Stevolution wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:52 am Well I love the car, but there is no way on earth all this touchscreen nonsense doesn't drag your attention away from the road less than a button/dial.

Stevolution, have you tried using the voice commands button. They can do plenty. including fiding a preset radio station. I am using the voice commands more and more as find it easier than the touchscreen.
Deleted User 456

No, I hate the voice thing. Seems such a convoluted method of getting somewhere. Maybe I will try again.

I used Android Auto yesterday instead to find music. Whose idea was it that is pauses and shows a 'safety pause' loading bar every so often when looking for a track :roll:
Yea, make my eyes stay off the road even longer

Makes me wonder if these designers have ever driven a car
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Stevolution wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:20 pm No, I hate the voice thing. Seems such a convoluted method of getting somewhere. Maybe I will try again.

I used Android Auto yesterday instead to find music. Whose idea was it that is pauses and shows a 'safety pause' loading bar every so often when looking for a track :roll:
Yea, make my eyes stay off the road even longer

Makes me wonder if these designers have ever driven a car
Nice to see those objective views from someone who designs electronics. My background is in mechanical design and I also try to see the logic in what others are creating. Where we are today, buttonless for the most part, seems to be more about fashionable trends and emulating tablets and smart phones. What seems to be missed in the translation is that those devices are designed to be stared into for pleasure as apposed to motoring where keeping your eye on a busy road is vital and maybe life and death for you and others.
You can argue its about cost but I think the other driving influences like neat, simple, fashionable trends and looking to a future of self drive cars are equal partners in the design choice.
The future maybe that you don't want or need to look out and instead look at your tablet during the journey.
I think over the next 5 years though we will see a blend of older retro looking controls mixed with touch screens so we get the balance right and control device best suited for the job.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Deleted User 456

Don't get me wrong at all. I LOVE my Cupra. I LOVE tech. I build amazing electronic and mechanical props and effects for the film and TV industry for a job.

But, I am sorry... these touchscreens detract the driver far more than simple buttons do. They have yet to fine tune this to a safe interaction point.

You could say it;s because I am in my fifties and 'it's not like the old days', but I embrace all things techy. This is just not one of those things.

I have lost count how many times I have hit a bump in the road and pressed the wrong icon, or adjusted the heating or volume by accident (really.... un-illuminated controls under a touchscreen?).

I think far more information on the HUD for starters. Radio choices, track selection. WHAT ELECTRIC MODE YOU ARE IN!

Some of the safety features (such as the safety delay in Android auto) actually make the situation worse. You don't give up and go back to watching the road, you sit there waiting for timer to elapse with your finger hovering over the screen.
Deleted User 456

No glovebox light? Is mine not working, or have they actually not bothered?
Elea4

Post by Elea4 »

Stevolution wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:28 am No glovebox light? Is mine not working, or have they actually not bothered?
No f**ks given by Cupra apparently... have to buy a small, stick-on battery-powered light with a motion sensor.