ID.3 into Born - Which model?

All CUPRA Born related discussions
itsmeGAV

Post by itsmeGAV »

Hi all,

I visited my local Cupra dealer today and after a sit in I’ve decided I’m very much on the fence to change my 12 month old ID.3 Life Pro Performance..

What I’m wondering is what is the ideal model to go for? V2 or V3? I’ve already ruled out the V1 due to lack of heated seats and how basic the standard wheels look.

I’d also be keen to hear the opinion of people who recently swapped from an ID.3 to the Born, any regrets? Your likes? Your dislikes?

Cheers!
Gav
June 2021 - Manganese Grey ID.3 Life Pro Performance - Andoyas - SOLD.
July 2022 - Aurora Blue V2 Born - Tech-L - loving it!

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

itsmeGAV wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:18 pm Hi all,

I visited my local Cupra dealer today and after a sit in I’ve decided I’m very much on the fence to change my 12 month old ID.3 Life Pro Performance..

What I’m wondering is what is the ideal model to go for? V2 or V3? I’ve already ruled out the V1 due to lack of heated seats and how basic the standard wheels look.

I’d also be keen to hear the opinion of people who recently swapped from an ID.3 to the Born, any regrets? Your likes? Your dislikes?

Cheers!
Gav
If you want to jump the queue and get into one of the currently available launch stock, you need to get off that fence and pull the splinters from your derriere! :lol:

For me it was V2. The V3s weren't available at the time I snatched up the 2 E-Boosts for me and the missus, and there was not a lot I liked about the V3 enough to pay the extra:-

1. I think the V2 gets the best loooking wheels - the 20" V3 wheels look a bit odd to me and have lots of plastic inserts that I imagine will scratch up quite easily or crack/fall off - this happened to the wheels on my mate's Audi A1 "40" (Polo GTI equivalent). I also thought the 20" ride might e so firm that DCC might be needed.

2. I must admit, the alcantara style cloth (Dinamica) on the V3 appealed to me marginally more than the one that's present on the V1 and V2 (SealQual).

3. The all electric seats with massage function (but seemingly no driver profile memory for adjustment) wasn't something I was bothered about.

For me, the V2 is a better value for money proposition than the V3.

As much as I liked the ID3, the relatively small cost to change (due to mad used prices of the ID3) and the much nicer interior were draws for me, as was the availability of the E-Boost. With normal residual expectations leading to a higher cost to change and no E-Boost option, there probably wouldn't have been enough of an enticement to change for me. Its a better overall package, but not massively. If I had neither car and someone stuck both the ID3 and Born in front of me and told me to buy one, i'd pick the Born, but I am a hot hatch fan at heart. The Born's handling differences to the ID3 seem to be in wheel/tyre choices - the test drive in the V1 on 18" wheels and Bridgestone tyres drove no better/sharper than my ID3 on 18" wheel and Bridgestone tyres.

The 19" wheels on decent rubber (Conti Eco Contact 6) give a noticeably sharper drive, I don't think the suspension set up in itself is any better, given my V1 test drive.

Are you considering the E-Boost?
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
itsmeGAV

Post by itsmeGAV »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:47 pm

Cheers!
Gav
If you want to jump the queue and get into one of the currently available launch stock, you need to get off that fence and pull the splinters from your derriere! :lol:
🤣🤣

No e-boost as I don’t care for it much.

See I like the sound of the V3 with the electric seats as I’ve never owned a car with electric seats and massage function however I don’t think it will be worth the price hike.

Does the V2 come with a rear view camera and keyless entry as standard?

Also, what are the lights like? Are they anything like the matrix lights on the ID.3?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

itsmeGAV wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:02 pm

🤣🤣

See I like the sound of the V3 with the electric seats as I’ve never owned a car with electric seats and massage function however I don’t think it will be worth the price hike.

Also, what are the lights like? Are they anything like the matrix lights on the ID.3?
Rear camera - Yes

Keyless Entry - only if you have the L-Tech or M-Tech pack (most of the launch stock has one of these specced).

Lights - standard LED headlights, just like the ID3 Life. Never had a problem with the Life lights, vs teh Wife's Family (Matrix) lights, bet we don't drive on unlit country roads where the Matrix lights would come into their own.

If the electric seats worked as though I would imagine they should (e.g. press a button to flit between mine and the wife's seat settings), that would be great, and I would consider it. The V2 seats are plenty comfy for me, I have spent 8 hours in them in 1 day and emerged from the car at each stop as fresh as a daisy - and i'm not someone who never has back twinges.

itsmeGAV

Post by itsmeGAV »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:34 pm

🤣🤣

Rear camera - Yes

Keyless Entry - only if you have the L-Tech or M-Tech pack (most of the launch stock has one of these specced).

Lights - standard LED headlights, just like the ID3 Life. Never had a problem with the Life lights, vs teh Wife's Family (Matrix) lights, bet we don't drive on unlit country roads where the Matrix lights would come into their own.

If the electric seats worked as though I would imagine they should (e.g. press a button to flit between mine and the wife's seat settings), that would be great, and I would consider it. The V2 seats are plenty comfy for me, I have spent 8 hours in them in 1 day and emerged from the car at each stop as fresh as a daisy - and i'm not someone who never has back twinges.
Sweet, this was all a huge help!

I think if anything I’ll look into the V2 rather than the V3 as Cupra Southampton has a few in stock or atleast coming.. especially a V2 in Glacial White with the M pack.

Do you know if both the M/L pack have the illuminated handles and the down lights from the mirrors with the Cupra logo?
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

itsmeGAV wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:47 pm Do you know if both the M/L pack have the illuminated handles and the down lights from the mirrors with the Cupra logo?
I'm awaiting delivery of a V1 next week with L pack, as far as I'm aware both packs come with the illuminated handles, the only difference looks to be the park assist that comes on the L pack.

I've currently got a Life Pro, and I was the same as you and the heated seats are the one thing I think I'll miss most, along with the iD light.

I'm really looking forward to getting the keyless entry back though, I had it on my Leaf Tekna and have really missed it.
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-July 22 - VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:47 pm

Cheers!
Gav
🤣🤣

I have no regrets in changing from an ID3 Pro Perf Life. I really liked my ID3 on 19" Andoyas but the cabin let it down for me. Utilitarian, tough, nothing about it said I'm a £30k+ cars.
The Born interior and other goodies I have on the V2 like the HUD, rear view camera, all round sensors, 12" infotainment screen plus the front and rear end and body coloured roof are much more pleasing on the eye than the ID3. Mine also has the TechL Pack ( most stock vehicles seem to have that) Mine has park assist also that may be part of the TechL.
In short it fills all the gaps that I feel were short on ID3.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I think the L-Tech pack is basically the M-Tech pack with the addition of Park Assist, hence the L-tech pack being about £450 more than the M-tech pack.

For me, I wouldn't care about the heated seats, I like a cool cabin, even in Winter. The thing I find most useful from the V2 that i've never had before is the HUD, its great, especially the augmented reality that has turning chevron signals coming at you when you approach a turn on a sat nav journey.

Might be coincidence, but I fitted my Thinkware F770 front/back dashcams to the 2 Borns yesterday and on each one I set the alarm off today when I pulled the door handle before the sensor had acknowledged my handle sensor press and unlocked the car - I did tap into the fuse that governs the wing mirror folding and central locking for my permanent live connection (for parking monitoring) - will have to keep an eye on that.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

itsmeGAV wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:47 pm

I think if anything I’ll look into the V2 rather than the V3 as Cupra Southampton has a few in stock or at least coming.. especially a V2 in Glacial White with the M pack.

Do you know if both the M/L pack have the illuminated handles and the down lights from the mirrors with the Cupra logo?
Presumably that'll be Snows in Shirley? I had considered Snows for an E-boost as a back-up in case Daveion nabbed my White E-boost before me - they got back to me about 3 days later, a lot slower to respond than I wanted in order to nab an e-boost.

Would have been handy to buy from there and pay the family visit - my parents and siblings live in and around Holbury (near Fawley), Hythe and Totton since my Dad moved us down with work when I was a kid and I moved back up to the North East at 18.

itsmeGAV

Post by itsmeGAV »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:13 pm
itsmeGAV wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:47 pm

I think if anything I’ll look into the V2 rather than the V3 as Cupra Southampton has a few in stock or at least coming.. especially a V2 in Glacial White with the M pack.

Presumably that'll be Snows in Shirley? I had considered Snows for an E-boost as a back-up in case Daveion nabbed my White E-boost before me - they got back to me about 3 days later, a lot slower to respond than I wanted in order to nab an e-boost.

Would have been handy to buy from there and pay the family visit - my parents and siblings live in and around Holbury (near Fawley), Hythe and Totton since my Dad moved us down with work when I was a kid and I moved back up to the North East at 18.
I'll be honest.. I'm not exactly sure where this Snows is in Southampton haha. I'm from Wiltshire and would normally go to Cupra in Swindon but they've got no stock coming for a while!